Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question LED Wiring Question

So I am starting on my led projects ( tails,filler panels, turn signals) and I was wondering if after every series of 6 (with 1 ohm resistors. I already have the supplies) do I have to connect a wire to the ending of each resistor or can I connect the resistor to the next series of led's? Its gonna be a pain in the *** if I have to have 20 wires coming from the resistors and turning them into 1 ground wire
Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what you are trying to say EXACTLY. its positive, resistor, (6) leds, negative. you cant wire up resistor, leds, and then another set because each resistor cuts the power back even more so there will not be enough power to light them all up. and when you try to put too many leds on 1 resistor, they will not be as bright and you will burn up the resistor. so in other words. they have to be wired parallel and not series (google if your not sure). as for the 20 wires coming off the resistors and turning them into one ground....do you mean one ground after the leds? if so itll be easier than you think. if you mean wiring the actual wires coming off the resistors into a ground.. have fun!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

this chart is what people are sending me to and it goes positive, leds, resistor, then the negative
Solution 0: 6 x 1 array uses 6 LEDs exactly

+12V__+-_+-_+-_+-_+-_+-__ R = 1 ohms

The wizard says: In solution 0:
each 1 ohm resistor dissipates 0.625 mW
the wizard thinks 1/4W resistors are fine for your application
together, all resistors dissipate 0.625 mW
together, the diodes dissipate 300 mW
total power dissipated by the array is 300.625 mW
the array draws current of 25 mA from the source.

and i have about 200 leds to wire up and so its gonna be all the wires coming off of them to one leading to my headlights
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha well wire a mock up. do + led resistor and - . it will not work. the resistor has to go on the positive side of the led. just helping ya out! and yes i no from experience because i changed all my interior lights out to blue leds. and its much easier to take idk-roughly a foot of 2 wires or however much you need and then run it close to each led group once they are in place and just keep tying into those two wires (+,-) like that instead of having, like you said, a whole crapload of wires coming out.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

well i already made one thing (license plate light) and put the resistor on the negative and it worked and lit up. so i guess it can go anyway