Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

? on Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ? on Door Locks

Are they grounded somewhere or does the BCM take care of this? My door locks were cycling over and over in the lock direction. I pulled the door panels off and the BCM down. I left it laying on the floorboard, checked out all the wires and nothing looked frayed or torn. Took a drive and they were no longer cycling. I guess I have a short or ground loose causing this.

I know I have to look for exposed bare wires somewhere, but is their a ground I could check out possibly? I just saw one under the passengers side and it was locked down tight from the factory.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is no separate ground on the door locks. The lock actuators lock or unlock based on the polarity of its two wires. In other words, the wire that is ground for locking becomes power for unlocking and vice versa. This is all controlled by the BCM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Whitebird,

I am going to get knee-deep in it tomorrow. The rain messed me up today. Looks like I've got a bit of tracing out to do. I figure it's just something simple like an exposed wire. My car is almost 10 years old, so I guess this stupid stuff is going to start happening.

-Chris

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no separate ground on the door locks. The lock actuators lock or unlock based on the polarity of its two wires. In other words, the wire that is ground for locking becomes power for unlocking and vice versa. This is all controlled by the BCM.