Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP!!! HID dont work!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! HID dont work!!

I just bought Speed inc HID kit with the 55w upgrade. well its all plug and play, got it hooked up in about 10mins. well after finishing all up, i try and turn them on, so i wait.......and wait........and wait.......so 10mins go by and they still didnt turn on. I go back and check all the wireing, its all good and tight. Im thinking they didnt send me the right ballast (35w instead of the 55w) this is my first HID kit so i dont know much about them. I tried calling speed inc but they are closed, ill have to call them tomorrow. Just wanted to post up here to see if there was a quick fix.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Our headlight plugs are wired backwards from normal. Flip them around and plug them in "backwards" and it will work fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think the 35 w to the 55 w will make a difference about the system turning on.

if u have a volt meter check the lines for power if there no power than it a circuit problem.

also check the little converter thing they come with
i assume that this things get hot when power is applied to them.
so check them out if they get hot
if here still cold they might not have power going thru them.

By the way im not sure about my hot and cold theory
but i think it can be worth a shot
good luck!
and trust me from my experience its the smallest things we over look that are the probem
Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

ok i just installed my regular bulbs and they work just fine, so do the hight beams
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Our headlight plugs are wired backwards from normal. Flip them around and plug them in "backwards" and it will work fine.
what do you mean? the plugs only go in one way on the male side of the low beam bulb connector its a weatherpack connector and only goes in one way. please explain.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The positive and negative on the stock plugs are reversed. It doesn't matter for Halogen (or other filament bulbs) but it does matter for HID and LED. Some people plug it in backwards to get it to work, while others physically swap the pins to be in the correct positions in the plug.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

then why is this system plug and play? ill go try it
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Yup reversing the power connectors to the ballast got them to turn on. They look bright *** hell!!! I like them, now i have to remove the auto on feature, and Hella fogs are on the way. THANX GUYS!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought some plug and play HID's from a member here and when I got them only one bulb worked. I cant figure out whats going on either. Bought a replacement pair off ebay that look exactly the same as the working one i had and neither worked. So between 4 bulbs one works, and on top of that the ebay store won't reply to my emails. FML
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
then why is this system plug and play? ill go try it
Its plug-and-play because if the car is wired correctly, they work. In this case, the car is wired backwards.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well S.O.B. i've been staring at these damn HIDs for a couple weeks now because I got tired of f-in with em, and now theyre in the car working bright as hell. Thanks guys...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

when is speed inc going to come out with a hid fog light kit??
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
when is speed inc going to come out with a hid fog light kit??
+1 that would be a nice kit, i already bought the Hellas. I think it will be better that way because when you arm you car alarm, the fogs turn on and off to let you know the system is active. Having the HIDs go on and off like that isn't good for them.

To Speed Inc, If this is an F-body Specific KIT, why not wire the weather pack connectors the correct way so that you can actually use the clip to secure them?

To VIP1, Are F-bodys wired like that from the factory? or is it just Camaro's?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 that would be a nice kit, i already bought the Hellas. I think it will be better that way because when you arm you car alarm, the fogs turn on and off to let you know the system is active. Having the HIDs go on and off like that isn't good for them.

To Speed Inc, If this is an F-body Specific KIT, why not wire the weather pack connectors the correct way so that you can actually use the clip to secure them?

Fogs won't flash unless the fog switch is turned on.

I reversed the wires on my stock plugs so now HID kits work fine plugged in the right way and if I was to go back to halogen (ha ha good one) those bulbs wouldn't care anyway.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I haven't seen anyone complain about the Firebird, but that is probably because no HID kit actually plugs directly into the stock connector anyway. You have to tap into the wires.

On mine, I've dome some rewiring and have an upgraded harness with H9 connectors and projectors.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to cut the harness for my fog lights on my camaro and soldier them backwards to get them to work.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:14 PM

I just bought Speed inc HID kit with the 55w upgrade. well its all plug and play, got it hooked up in about 10mins. well after finishing all up, i try and turn them on, so i wait.......and wait........and wait.......so 10mins go by and they still didnt turn on. I go back and check all the wireing, its all good and tight. Im thinking they didnt send me the right ballast (35w instead of the 55w) this is my first HID kit so i dont know much about them. I tried calling speed inc but they are closed, ill have to call them tomorrow. Just wanted to post up here to see if there was a quick fix.
You need to review and upgrade the fuses for low beam, your system rated 55w consume more than 20 Amps. at Start up later the consumption drops to 3 or 4 Amps. that means may be now your fuses are blowed up, because normal factory halogen system uses 15 or 20 Amps. you need to upgrade the fuses to 30 Amps. Other reason could be your car has daylight activated, (in that light mode uses 6 Volts not enough to activate HID lights) to fix that remove the fuse. also the Auto Light should be turned off. Other recommendation is never turn on the HID lights if your car Engine is turn off, Other reason for the HID Failure is, because may be your car has a computer control for over consumption, to fix that you need to connect the ballast direct from the car battery. I hope that can help you...
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Will it really hurt the bulb to have them flash for the alarm?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! HID dont work!!