Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Flasher doesnt work and headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flasher doesnt work and headlight problem

Ok heres the problem(s) Im having
1) My right turn signal is not flashing. The right turn front signal bulb does not come on unless the headlights are turn on but even then when the bulb is burning the signal does not flash. When the hazard flashers are on the right front bulb does not come on but the back flashers do work

2) My left headlight sometimes is only vagely dim until you click on the brights and turn them off then its on fully

I think both maybe caused by a bad relay
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by nhraracer
Ok heres the problem(s) Im having
1) My right turn signal is not flashing. The right turn front signal bulb does not come on unless the headlights are turn on but even then when the bulb is burning the signal does not flash. When the hazard flashers are on the right front bulb does not come on but the back flashers do work

2) My left headlight sometimes is only vagely dim until you click on the brights and turn them off then its on fully

I think both maybe caused by a bad relay
Nope, there is no relay in either the turn signal or the headlight circuits (although some people mistakenly refer to the turn signal flasher as a relay).

Your turn signals aren't flashing on the right side because the right front bulb is burned out. The bulb is dual filament - a bright filament for the DRLs and turn signals and a dim filament for the parking lights (when the headlights are on). One filament can burn out while the other continues to work. Replace the bulb and your turn signals will work again.

The headlight problem could be caused by many things but I would check for a corroded socket or a bad ground first. Those are the most common problems.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I had already changed the bulb before but just to make sure it wasnt a faulty bulb I used the other one in the package

Nothing on the flashers

When I pulled the socket water came out of it. There is moisture collection on both turn signal lenses.

It should also be noted that when I moved the bulb around it occasionally came on only to quickly go back off

What do you think it is? I think its that socket and wire but I dont know what its called or what to ask for when I go to the parts place
Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Yes, our cars are prone to having the sockets corrode because of water pooling in the housing. The sockets are referred to as "pigtails" by the aftermarket parts industry. You can get a generic GM socket/pigtail from most parts stores (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.). Pick up one of those little packets of dielectric grease at the checkout counter to keep the new socket from corroding so easily.

You could try cleaning the contacts in the existing socket but I have found that to be just a temporary fix.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

The lenses will also crack from small road debris. (That could be the source of your water, also.) If the bulb comes in to contact with water, it will blow. On the socket side of things, there should be a black rubber gasket to seal it up. Is water pooling inside your lenses? If so, there is probably a crack just above the pool.

If you press you finger on the outside of the lens housing, you will see separation if you have any cracks.

Quick Reply: Flasher doesnt work and headlight problem