Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help Me Piece Out A Stereo For My Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
The new comp line is using the solobaric technology in round speakers from what I read.
Old technology anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
I coudn't agree more, each to their own alright. If you are looking at kicker, look at their solobaric line.

The new comp line is using the solobaric technology in round speakers from what I read.

I can pick a half a dozen speakers that are great in my opinion. I'm not brand loyal by any means. It all comes down to the tune and how much you want to fork out.
thanks haha... yeah really just got to a shop and compare things! Its not only fun but gives you a good idea of what there is, price ranges, what amps to use etc...
Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
And about the amps, its not the same having a 5ch amp power 4 speakers and a sub, but if he's not looking for a harder hit then he could go that route, was just saying i'd personally do two amps, not much harder to wire, but to each there own.
Agreed

I am no audio guru so i can't say i know performance difference with either route.

I chose a 5 ch amp because it was a cleaner install.
The amp is bolted/screwed onto the side of single 10" sub box. All the wires hidden.

At the track, it just comes out like a laundry bag.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your going to get alot of differing opinions on what sounds the best. It really depends on what you want to spend and you goals. SQ or SPL? Want to run passive or active? 90% percent of what your new equipment will sound like is tuning and install. Your goals will dictate your equipment. I've been into car audio a long time and have heard many different brands sound good and bad. A properly setup cheap $600 system can sound better than a $2000 improperly setup system.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Teching In

You don't have to run any back speakers at all. True audiophile systems use just front speakers. Rear speakers are considered for "fill." If you want rear fill, buy one of the less expensive models since you will not be really hearing much out of them. Save your money and buy a good set of front speakers. A good pair are the SPX-17REF, which you can get on ebay for 300. These are audiophile grade. Alpine makes great head units too. Their type R sub is excellent also.

Buy some Dynamat or similar product and deaden your front doors. It will make the sound punchier and louder.

I agree with kee audio that a 5 channel amp makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Another thing. There are a lot of amps out there, but this one is something special. ZedAudio Leviathan. Mail order only from a guru in the industry. It is a 6 channel sub, that makes 150w into each channel. You can bridge a pair of channels and make 600W. That would give you 4 channels with 150w, and one sub channel with 550W. $599

Also, it is a Class D, which means it is very power efficient and would not require an extra battery or power capacitor.

He builds amps that last forever. I have a couple from 1999 that still kick ***.

http://www.audiogearreviews.com/revi...-leviathan.asp

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-14-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor link
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bfb1963
Another thing. There are a lot of amps out there, but this one is something special. ZedAudio Leviathan. Mail order only from a guru in the industry. It is a 6 channel sub, that makes 150w into each channel. You can bridge a pair of channels and make 600W. That would give you 4 channels with 150w, and one sub channel with 550W. $599

Also, it is a Class D, which means it is very power efficient and would not require an extra battery or power capacitor.

He builds amps that last forever. I have a couple from 1999 that still kick ***.

http://www.audiogearreviews.com/revi...-leviathan.asp
hmm i might have to look into that... Bros amp and subs were just stolen!

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-14-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor link
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

And get an IPOD adapter, or even that Alpine Head Unit that does not have a CD drive and just handles radio and IPOD.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Old technology anyway.
You are correct, the solobaric line got improvments, the old solobaric line went into the round subs is the old stuff.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's been said time and time again, 2 components in the front and a sub or two in the trunk. there is absolutely no reason or need to install anything else, especially including rear speakers. i guarantee you with a good quality set of components with an adequate crossover and subs the same quality and corresponding crossover settings, you'll never miss rear speakers or even realize how encompassing the sound will be with only 2 components. also there is no reason to install speakers now and subs later. it might cost more, but the hassle of installing car stereo appliances does not make it worthwhile to do twice because you can't afford to purchase everything simultaneously. either don't do it or wait till you can buy everything and do the install one time and one time only.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tuffluck
also there is no reason to install speakers now and subs later. it might cost more, but the hassle of installing car stereo appliances does not make it worthwhile to do twice because you can't afford to purchase everything simultaneously. either don't do it or wait till you can buy everything and do the install one time and one time only.
Definately agree. It's too much of a pain doing the wiring (if needed) and pulling everything apart just to have to do it later down the road. I usually find myself doing that but if you get a couple hours just spend that time installing everything at once and get it over with and save yourself a headache. Also make sure you have all the wiring you may need, don't want to have to run out for something in the middle of tearing the car apart.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Another awesome brand of speakers to look into if you want grade A sound quality along with volume is FoCal. Have a wide range of speakers to choose from whether theyre ur typical coaxials or comp speaker systems. They also have subs and amps and wiring and anything else you may need.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
also there is no reason to install speakers now and subs later. it might cost more, but the hassle of installing car stereo appliances does not make it worthwhile to do twice because you can't afford to purchase everything simultaneously. either don't do it or wait till you can buy everything and do the install one time and one time only.
Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Definately agree. It's too much of a pain doing the wiring (if needed) and pulling everything apart just to have to do it later down the road.
really? it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you can simply go ahead and run all the wires now, along with the rest of the stuff you're doing, then just install the amp/sub later, when you have the extra cash...

the wiring is pretty cheap, and you can just simply leave a little slack for flexibility in final placement, then cut the wires to length once you're finalizing the install. it just takes a little more planning initially, but you should take the time to plan properly anyway.....
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Teching In

i have two type r 12'' subs and they hit great. if you like metal with a lot of double bass you might want to consider 10s however with a good hu the 12's will do great.