Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is something draining my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is something draining my battery?

I believe my ac delco battery is original with 73000 miles on it. I went to start my car the other day and it was dead I jumped it let it run for 20 min shut it off. Dead again, so i charged it started it up let it run again, then dead again. I installed a e cutout a few months ago and spliced into the cig lighter but never had any issues. I cant see what the intdicator light is presenting on the battery. I just bought a new interstate battery today and have had no issues with it not having enough volts but when I turn the key the gauge reads right at the top of the yellow maybe 12v. SO I am hoping the problem was the old battery.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say it was the old battery, but there is a few checks you can do with a $20 volt meter from wal-mart.

First is a charging test, most vehicles have this in the gauge cluster but if you want the exact number just start the car, and hook - to - and + to + should be anywhere between 13.0 volts to 14.5 volts depending on battery charge, but should be a steady voltage and not fluctuate to much.

The other test will check for drain after the key is off...

Disconnect the neg terminal, and switch the meter from volts to 10A and also swap leads on the meter to the correct terminal on the + side. With key off there should be nearly 0 amps draining between the neg. cable and the neg. battery post. There will be a small drain though like .0xx amps for the memory in the stereo and computer, but not much more then that. Do not turn key on with meter in line with cable and batery post, this will burn the meter up. Key off only.

That test is called a parasitic drain test if you need to look it up for better instructions then mine..LOL hope this helped.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Bud that helps a lot!! I will try this tomorrow!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free but I suspect that it's bad just by the fact that it is 8+ years old. That's about twice the life of an average battery and quite surprising for an AC Delco.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^x2 test your battery FTW. And again, its quite old, so you'll probably be needing a new one. It's a miracle it lasted that long