Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

factory car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory car alarm

i had a problem with my factory car alarm this past weekend it would not let my car crank over so i thought it may be a bad starter which it wasn't check the fuses and relays..nothin i asked several people to see what they thought it maybe.. i remembered the dam car alarm so i unplugged the positive post on the battery than (with the help of a friend) put the key on the on position i put the positive post back on and he cranked it over an sure enough the car started.... does anyone know what might have caused that to happen??
Old 12-11-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a factory alarm, then you should have a bypass switch that will allow you to start it with the key in the ignition. Mine does and in the past if the key fob was dead and I had to enter the car with the key in the door method and the alarm was going off this was the only way to start it. Check for a little black button under the dash below the steering column.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I've never heard of a factory alarm having such an override switch - certainly not on f-bodies. Aftermarket alarm systems have those switches but not factory ones. The factory alarm system can be disabled without the remote by merely turning on the ignition with the correct key.

Besides, I doubt the alarm had anything to do with the starting problem. The only time the alarm system would prevent starting is when it is triggered - and you would know that the lights were flashing and the horn was honking. The problem was most likely caused by your VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System). That is the circuit that checks for the correct ignition key by checking the resistor pellet in the key. If the resistance value isn't correct, the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster will illuminate and the car won't start. This can be caused by grime on the key contacts or in the ignition cylinder. A little contact cleaner will often take care of the problem.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I've never heard of a factory alarm having such an override switch - certainly not on f-bodies. Aftermarket alarm systems have those switches but not factory ones. The factory alarm system can be disabled without the remote by merely turning on the ignition with the correct key.

Besides, I doubt the alarm had anything to do with the starting problem. The only time the alarm system would prevent starting is when it is triggered - and you would know that the lights were flashing and the horn was honking. The problem was most likely caused by your VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System). That is the circuit that checks for the correct ignition key by checking the resistor pellet in the key. If the resistance value isn't correct, the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster will illuminate and the car won't start. This can be caused by grime on the key contacts or in the ignition cylinder. A little contact cleaner will often take care of the problem.
Well now you do, as mine came from the factory with an alarm or dealer installed as I've had her since new. I know it's a GM alarm as I have GM key fobs and the brain or brick under the lower berger is stamped GM parts. From what I understand it's a kill switch bypass that enables you to bypass the kill switch only when the VATS is disabled when the correct key is inserted and the ignition is turned over. Thats about all I can tell you.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, no... the f-body never came with a factory alarm that had an override switch.

I know exactly what you have - it was a dealer installed alarm option sold as a GM accessory as an upgrade to a basic keyless entry system. It was made for GM by DEI and is based on the Hornet alarm system. It had the advantage of splicing into the factory keyless entry system so that the original remotes could be retained. I can even get you the GM part number if you're interested.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

what could i use to clean the grime in the ignition??
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I've found that electronic contact cleaner available in a spray can from Radio Shack works quite well. Spray some in the ignition cylinder and then work your key in and out to dislodge the grime.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

i still cant get my car to crank over what else could it be??i tried to by pass the vats
Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

If the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster is on then you still have a VATS problem - it is seeing the wrong resistance value. If the SECURITY light is flashing then the VATS can't detect any resistance value at all (as though the key has no pellet). This could be caused by a broken wire or bad contacts in the ignition cylinder.

If the SECURITY light isn't on then the problem is with the starting system (starter, starter relay, battery, wiring, etc.).

Quick Reply: factory car alarm