Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Second Skin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Second Skin?

Guys,

I am considering using this product (Damp Pro) for my T/A soon as I have heard a lot of good things on here about them. I had a few questions that I sent to them via PM but havn't heard back maybe you can help?

1) Since they are a site sponsor do they offer any discounts to forum members or can I get it some where else with a discount?

2) About how much (sq ft) will I need to do the entire front pan of my car all the way to the back of the back seats but not the rear deck or trunk well?

3) Does the damp pro offer good heat protection as well as I am having heat issues from my exhaust directly under the console and pass seat? If not should I get the heatwave product as well to go under the carpet in these areas and how much should cover that area mentioned?

4) Also, is the damp pro overkill and will just the damplifier be just fine?

Any help is much appreciated and let me know what you guys think of this product as well?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

I'm not aware of and discounts, but If you sign up for their newsletter they'll let you know when they have specials. There product is rated up to 500*, and I think around 35 sq.ft. should cover the floor pan. You'll also want a layer in side the doors, overhead(hardtop), and directly under the plastic dash pad. Myself I used the Damplifier, and their Overkill, and Overkill-Pro throughout my car, if price is not a issue then get the Damplifier-Pro if you want, but i think you'll be happy with the Damplifier.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the regular Damplifier and overkill-pro in my car aswell. I did the doors, sails, back well by the berger, under the plastic dash cover, floor, firewall, and under the b-pillar. It made a huge difference. I would just go with the regular damplifier. The old saying "A little goes a long ways, and a lot goes a little further." is definately true with deadener.

It will definately help with heat, but probably won't solve the problem.

I bought it straight from SS, so no discount here.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
I have the regular Damplifier and overkill-pro in my car aswell. I did the doors, sails, back well by the berger, under the plastic dash cover, floor, firewall, and under the b-pillar. It made a huge difference. I would just go with the regular damplifier. The old saying "A little goes a long ways, and a lot goes a little further." is definately true with deadener.

It will definately help with heat, but probably won't solve the problem.

I bought it straight from SS, so no discount here.
Thanks do you remember how much you ended up ordering - sq ft wise?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their own forums mention specials sometimes.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered 60 sq. ft. But I use it sparingly, and my objective wasn't to cover every square inch. I just got the areas of the most resonance and tried to seal everything up as much as possible.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody have any more reccomendations? Also, still trying to judge how much dampiner I need to order? When u guys say under the dash do you mean under the upper pad with the defrost vents? And if I go the route of adding the trunk well and rear deck how much will that add to my total sq ft amount. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Yeah, the upper dash pad.
IMO get 80sq.ft. of Damplifier, 18sq.ft. of Overkill-Pro, and 9sq.ft. of Overkill. and do the floor first so you can get the carpet, center console and seats back in the car. I would also remove the sail panel, A-pillar panels, headliner, and upper dash pad and leave them out until all those areas are eventually done. If your car's a M6 then before reinstalling the center console remove the lower shifter boot, and cut a piece of Overkill-Pro a little larger than the lower boot. Cut a hole in it( offset it to get the most coverage over the trans tunnel shifter opening)slightly smaller then the lower round shifter base,then carefully pull it over the top of the shifter and slide it down to bottom.
Then do the doors (inside of the outer door skins) with 8" x 12" pieces of Damplifier that has Overkill-Pro glued to it, from the crash bar on down. Between the door panel and door put some Damplifier and /or Overkill on the door where ever you think in necessary, then reinstall the door panels.
Since you have a hard top IMO put 2 layers of Damplifier completely covering the T-top area on both sides and cover as many holes as you can, do the same around the sail panel speakers and inside the sail panels do the same thing as inside the front doors, but use 6" x 8" pieces. on the dash a layer of Damplifier with Overkill glued to it, or to the dash pad.
In the rear L&R quarter panels close to the tail lights put 3each 8" x 12" pieces per side, just like the pieces in side the front doors.Space them a couple of inches apart. Give the rest of the rear a single coat of Damplifier.
Some where down the line you'll likely need more Damplifier, but I could be wrong.
Hopefully this helps some.

Feel free to add to anything I left out.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for everything guys, I called SecondSkin and have decided to order 80sqft of the Damp Pro and bout 4 sheets of the Overkill. I have new carpet and pad coming in as well so I have a feeling this is going to make a major difference. I'll let you know how it goes and I appreciate all of your help and insight.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DEFINATELY let us know how it comes out!!! And don't forget PICS!

Quick Reply: Second Skin?