Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

System Completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default System Completed

ive lurked a lot on ls1 tech, and alot of people have said alot of things for what to do with a setup, and heres what i finished with

Eclipse 5100 HU (shoulda got an alpine)
Alpine S 6.5 components in the front
JBL 4" 2 ways in the rear
factory tweeters in rear still hooked up
aftermarket speakers are hooked to an Alpine 4 way, 50x4RMS

Sail panels have Bazookas hooked to the factory amp, and they hit pretty hard for only 6.5s

Bringing up the rear is a JL box intended for a W3, but instead has a spacer and a 10" Alpine type X in it, and an Alpine MRD m1001 @ 1kwRMS goin to it.

and i know people will say " oh shoulda lost the rears" or " oh should amped the bazookas instead" but frankly i dont give a crap, and it sounds amazing to me and everyone else that has rode with me or borrowed my car for a date. lol.

so here are some vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XgGi9Nf_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTA5EgyrOvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6LOZgbKjwg

i have to give kudos to everyone at LS1 tech for helping with this project, the combined knowledge of all of you has led to its completion.

as for right now, the tie rod ends are shot, my steering wheel is off about 45 degrees, and i need new tires and brakes all around. lol.

thx again guys. i welcome the comments.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpine isn't a bad company. But why would you get Bazookas? I would invest in some crossovers, or just simply turn them on.

What makes you wish you would have gotten an Alpine HU instead of the Eclipse? That HU you have is a really good HU, especially for under $200!

Last edited by 98camaro28; 12-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it sounds good to you, im glad it worked out for ya.

Why the various brands of equipment, sounds like a big mix n match deal.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 AM
Launching!

@ dragonrage, i figured you would be enthusiastic. lol

@ 98, plenty of people replace the sails with the bazookas, so i simply followed suit since lots of people were happy with their results.
as far as the HU, the center selector is very touchy on mine and does what i dont want it to sometimes. that and the USB input crapped out somehow, which was the main reason i got it to begin with, but other than that i like it. i just feel a 9886 would ahve been a better purchase.

as far as the crossovers go, i really dont know what the factory monsoon does as far as that goes for the sail woofers, i turned the HPF on the deck but that drowned out a bunch of my midbass, so ive been keeping that off, and using the 4 channel amps HPF for the regular speakers.

and @ 408, it was kindof a mix and match deal with the stealthbox & the JBLs, lol. the JBLs were cheap, and so was the fiberglass box.

that and i hate buying from any shop because they usually screw you. lol.

if i had to do one thing over, it would be to slip a small piece of MDF between the bazooka mounting surface to pull it out a bit further, ive had some issues with the bass rattling the screws loose.

thx for the comments guys
Old 12-31-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that center selector is my only complaint on that HU. I do hate dealing with stuff like that in a lowered F-body driving down old country roads. lol

I would leave the components active and turn the HPF on for everything else, except the bazookas, if you can work that out with your equipment.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to hear your happy with your system!
So have you already tried running the rear jbl speakers off the head unit amp, and the sails off the power amp?
Hooked up this way you wouldn't even need the factory power amp.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Launching!

@98 i never actually thought about leavin the components on all pass, i suppose ill have to try that come spring. i usually listen to alot of low stuff like E40, gucci mane, ect. so i was a little worried about the lows, but ill for sure check that out come spring.

@99Blu, i didnt try doing that. i know at 2 ohms the 4 chan amp i have would be running ~75wrms to the subs.

as for hooking the JBLs to the Eclipse HU, lol. im not about to go hacking into the factory monsoon harness just to try it, although i suppose there would be more midbass.

isnt the monsoon factory ~ 100wrms @ 2ohms anyway though?