Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hardwiring in a Orange TPMS receiver. Questions on the battery port

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hardwiring in a Orange TPMS receiver. Questions on the battery port

After running a tire low and causing its end of life, I purchased a Orange TPMS. The cord has 3 wires for hardwiring. Ground, and 2 powers. One power is for the display, which I wired into the IGN port on the fuse panel. The other is for receiving the intermittent transmissions from the tires so that when you power on the car, the readings are there instead of waiting for them. I placed that one into the battery terminal.

My problems are simple I hope.

1) My fuse panel shows a BATT, IGN, and ACCY(or something like those). My panel seems to not have a connector in the ACCY one. I would have used that instead of the IGN one. Does anyone know WTF happened there?

2) The battery port that I wired into is working. It has 12V while the car is off. But when I started the car with the TPMS all wired in and happy, I got a beep from the unit, and the readings were gone. It seems the 12V vanished while the started was cranking. Is that expected? Is there an easy way to keep 12V there while the car cranks?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

I would go to your ignition harness and grab the thick red wire for a constant 12v and the thick orange wire for accessory.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The only difference between the IGN port and the ACCY port is that the ACCY port is RAP (Retained Accessory Power) controlled - it has power after the ignition is shut off until a door is opened. That is unnecessary for a tire pressure monitoring system.

The BATT port has power all the time - even when starting the car. However, the IGN port is not powered during cranking. This is common to almost all ignition controlled power in the car. Are you sure you don't have the two connections reversed?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Yeah. Pretty sure. The display is attached to the ign portion, and it is off with the car, and turns on with the key. The readings are also maintained between on/off. And finally, for a test last night, with the car off, I unlpugged the battery portion, and I heard the unit reset when I plugged back in. I think the battery voltage is simply dropping lower than the unit wants during the cranking.

The battery portion of the unit draws 32mA. That sounds a bit on the high side for a constant draw.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry for mini hijack-

how do you like the Orange TPMS as a whole and how is the quality of the monitor?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
sorry for mini hijack-

how do you like the Orange TPMS as a whole and how is the quality of the monitor?
So far, it's pretty nice. Its on sale at amazon if you're interested. Less than 120.

One of the temp sensors seems to read high, but I really don't care much about it. 3 tires read 53, and the 4th is 61. Doubt I have a hot spot in the garage. The PSI readings seem correct though.

I emailed their support about getting one replacement stem to have just incase the tire shop breaks one, and I've heard nothing back, so their support email sucks.

And finally, if you hardwire it, it will consume 32mA from the battery terminal. Seems a bit high. Just have to remember to unplug if leaving the car for weeks.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the good info!

Quick Reply: Hardwiring in a Orange TPMS receiver. Questions on the battery port