Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hooking up a new amp and rewire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hooking up a new amp and rewire?

Guys,

Quick question? I am thinking of adding an amp to my aftermarket hu to push a clearer and better sound and will be able to easily rewire the speakers as I am putting down Second Skin and replacing the carpet over the next couple of weeks. The question is I am going to add the MB quart DSC480 (maybe) and this amp is 4x80 or 4x160, can I hook up the amp to my front door speakers and rear deck speakers with the preout's from my hu (panasonic CQ-DF88) to the amp? If I do this can I leave the hu to power the sail panel speakers thru the wiring harness or does hooking up the preamp out's not allow this? Kinda hard to explain, I am just trying to think how to hook up this many speakers to a 4 chan amp. Also, how do you wire the front and rear speakers to one channel each when you have a tweeter and speaker? Crossover? I know a lot of u guys will say to leave the rear deck speakers out of the equasion and unplug them, but I'd rather keep them and push a little more power to my speakers. Any advise is much appreciated.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the fronts, if i recall correctly the tweeters run off of the head unit. leave that as is. Run the midrange of the door and the sail panels off the amp. If you are dead set on keeping the hatch speakers, i would run them off of the rear speaker output of your headunit. Then wire the door midrange and sailpanels off the amp through your rca outputs on your radio. So you will have front speaker output to the tweeters, rear speaker output to the hatch, and the rca outputs going to the 4 channels of the amp.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
For the fronts, if i recall correctly the tweeters run off of the head unit. leave that as is. Run the midrange of the door and the sail panels off the amp. If you are dead set on keeping the hatch speakers, i would run them off of the rear speaker output of your headunit. Then wire the door midrange and sailpanels off the amp through your rca outputs on your radio. So you will have front speaker output to the tweeters, rear speaker output to the hatch, and the rca outputs going to the 4 channels of the amp.
That's a really good idea, I think I'll go that route and I should get more midrange out of my sails if I run them out of the amp.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another question? I want to keep the stock look and don't want to display the amp and the trunk well won't work as I have a full sub box. Has anyone installed one under the passenger seat and do you think there will be enough room?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Launching!

If you are running a 4 channel amp AND using the factory speaker outs on the HU, do you lose power at the factory speaker outs?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bobs-00-SS
If you are running a 4 channel amp AND using the factory speaker outs on the HU, do you lose power at the factory speaker outs?
Don't think so as I am running an aftermarket HU with Preamp outs for front and rear. I am going to hook these into the amp and use the amp to drive the sail speakers and front door mids. I will leave the tweeters in the doors hooked up to the HU amplified speaker outs for the front and use the HU amplified speaker out for the rear to drive the rear deck speakers. Is that what you are asking?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt there is enough room. Try in the cubby hole where the stealth box goes, or where ur spare tire is. There are plenty of pics around here to show both.