Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fusible Link Blew - Security Button At Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fusible Link Blew - Security Button At Fault?

In my car, not sure if it is aftermarket or not, when you disconnect and reconnect the battery, there is a button on the left side of the kick panel under the dash that you must push as you are turning the key for the car to start. This has never happened before but today I started the car and before I got it out of gear I accidentally pushed this button with the tip of my big *** foot and it started dying and then smoke came from the junction box - fusible link or links burnt.

Also, if the button I am describing is aftermarket, how do I get rid of it altogether? It actually sounds like what VATS is, but no one ever describes a button, so I'm not sure.

But it shouldn't still be smoking right? I am concerned that there is still a short somewhere and it will just happen again, because when I inspected it with the battery still connected it continued to smoke a little when I pulled it up. The ohm readings where intermittent with the battery disconnected. Even though I really think it is the button that did that, like it overloaded because the car was already on or something, but then why would it be smoknig still, just because the wires are exposed? I really don't think the wiring under the kick panel is so sensitive that anything could have been dislodged when I adjusted my feet under there.

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 01-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

It's definitely aftermarket. There is no factory button on the kick panel and there is certainly no factory requirement to push a button after battery reconnection. In fact, I did that this weekend and the only thing I had to do was redo all the settings in my stereo.

The question is... is it part of an aftermarket alarm system or is it some kind of extra kill switch that a previous owner installed?

It would take one hell of a short on an otherwise unprotected circuit to fry a fusible link. Fusible links are the last line of defense for the electrical system - there are numerous other fuses that should blow before a fusible link. It makes me wonder if the switch is spliced into one of the main ignition wires. I suggest you trace the switch wires to see what they are connected to.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I repaired the fusible link and had to fabricate a new box for the studs they go on because the stock one broke apart just from me wrenching on it. I tested it by moivng the wires around near the kick panel area and all around with it running and it didn't die, so it is likely that it is this button, which by the way I made a metal box for with a hole on the top so you can't push it except for when you want to, and even then you need a pencil or something. It doesn't make sense and I am slightly afraid to drive it, but I don't think I'll have a problem again. I tried to find any broken wires but found none and the security button wire comes out of a bundle of wires as thick as my forearm and I was unable to trace its location.

BTW - Where can I get a new fusible link box? The one I made is pretty good, I am quite proud of myself for rigging it up so quickly, it just has more metal and isn't as well encased in plastic as the stock one, the top for it isn't that great either. It would be fine I am just worried about rust. It rusted a bit just from me handling it so I just put some white lithium grease around the metal for the time being.

EDIT: nvm, I think I may have found one:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Caspers-Electr...ductId=1145239

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 01-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Fusible Link Blew - Security Button At Fault?