Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Right front speakers sounding like crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front speakers sounding like crap

My 2000 Formula has an Alpine IDA-X100 HU and the Kee Audio basic upgrade package. For whatever reason the right front component set has week sound and when the bass hits it has a sound like the speaker is blown.

The components are NOT blown, and it was doing this with the factory speakers as well. Does this sound like the Monsoon amp is messed up or a wiring problem? Next week or this weekend I may take the door panel off and check all the connections, but I am thinking it is an amp problem. Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds to me like an amp issue. I would say bypass the amp and either run a nice 4 channel with the sails on the rear channels in order to keep bass going to the sails, or get a sub in a stealth box to fill the lows and run the highs off the headunit or a nice 4 channel.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

I realize it might be counter-intuitive, but couldn't I just swap out the Monsoon amp with a new Monsoon amp? it would be cheaper for me and easier. I really don't have the time to put a new amp now, but it may be in the future.

EDIT: I didn't really notice the difference in left-to-right sound until I put the CDT components up front. I am still running the stock rear speakers, and they really fill out the system. I did, however, notice the crackling sound coming mostly from the right. I know that the tweeters and woofers are crossed over inside the amp. Is it possible that the crossover inside the amp is bad and sending midbass signals to the tweeter?

Last edited by ArkBird96; 01-06-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The door speaker signals are not filtered at the amp. The door mids get full-range signal and you will find an inline high-pass filter going to the tweeters. Besides, the tweeters aren't powered by the amp in a Firebird - they run directly off the head unit. Those inline filters have been known to go bad and cause symptoms similar to what you describe.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Where are those filters and how hard are they to replace?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get another Monsoon amp off ebay for <$25.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

The filter is VERY easy to replace. It is the black foam covered rectangle that is inline with the tweeter wires. You can cut that off and use a small capacitor/ bass blocker inline with the positive wire instead (still using the other end that is the connector that plugs into the stock harness). They are readily available at radio shack or other places for less then a dollar. If I had one laying around I'd give you one.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

What is the part # from radioshack?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

bump for today
Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

Soemthing like this: PAC 33NP100 or PAC BB6
will work fine. If you go to Radio Shack or another car audio place they probably have some laying around. They should be VERY inexpensive. In the realm of maybe $5.00 or less.
I can get them for you but it might be faster for you to just go down to the store and get some. If not I can get them for you! To ship them would cost more then they are worth though.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

OK. Thanks Ian. I will look into that. I think my window guides are also FUBARed so I will probably be taking off the door panels yet again, and I will probably take care of that filter while I am in there.

Also, the sound from the right front CDT component set is quite a bit less than the sound coming from the CDT comps from the left front. I am relying primarily on the right rear stock component set for right side sound.

Do you think this is an amp issue Ian? It is more the lack of full-range sound from the CDT woofer on the right side that is bugging me more than the sound.

How do I find out if this is the amp or not? If it is the amp, can I order another one from GM?