Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket head unit and speakers with factory amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket head unit and speakers with factory amp

Im purchasing 4, 6 3/4 speakers and 2 4 inche speakers and an aftermarket head unit this weekend, can i use the factory amp with the set up? im not feeling spending another 200 bucks on radio stuff im just looking for overall better sound than the stock monsoon factory speakers..
thanks
Travis
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

you CAN, but its much cheaper and easier to just get 4 speakers (no 4x6"'s) and rewire it(bypassing the amp) from the aftermarket deck. THe stock system is 2ohm and any speaker you will find is 4ohm, this means if you run new speakers on the stock amp they will be VERY underpowered. your new deck is 45-60Wx4, which is plenty to power 4 new speakers. \
Get a deck, 4 speakers and 30ft of speaker wire, then run new wires to each speaker(very easy on these cars), then run those wires to the new deck. This will sound alot cleaner and alot louder.

What deck were you looking at? speakers?
Old 12-22-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i picked up a bunch of alpine stuff this weekend. i went with the 6 3/4 inch speakers im not at my house to look at the box so i dont recall the model numbers, but anyways i got four of those speakers, ill have to work on wiring it to the head unit tonight. Should i keep the two rear speakers in the back hatch or should i just toss them? which would probably give me more room for the nx bottle opener anyways haha
thanks for the tip
T
Old 12-22-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

toss em man...or sell them for others here who have blown them

good luck bro (make sure you match the +/- correctly)

Quick Reply: aftermarket head unit and speakers with factory amp