Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Knight rider looking alarm indicator thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knight rider looking alarm indicator thing

Ok, so my buddy bought an 07 Denali that has this really sweet alarm system on it. It takes a video of the driver if the car is stolen and eveything. So anyways, on my alarm, like most others, there is a little red light the flashes to let you know the alarm is armed or whatever. His doesn't have this. It has a very skinny LED bar that is like a foot long or a little more that is at the bottom of the windshield on the dash. It does different light patterns and almost looks like knight rider or something. We have no idea where the alarm came from or anything. We can't get a hold of the previous owner either.

Now I know wiring it up would be pretty simple, but I'd need the light with some type of control module or something that would make it do the various patterns of light while the car is parked with the alarm on. Anyone have any ideas about this?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

A quick search on Google using the terms knight rider alarm led bar turned up dozens of options in different sizes with simple two wire installation. In fact, it probably took less time than typing your question did.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

its called a scanner and like whitebird said you can get them easily and install is a snap with or with out a alarm.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

BTW, wiring it to your alarm may not be a simple as you think. The existing red LED gets a flashing supply of power but these scanner/light bars require continuous power. Most aftermarket alarms provide a "ground while armed" circuit that could be used to make the scanner work while the alarm is armed but the factory alarm has no such circuit.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

good point whitebird. for somereason i was assuming a aftermarket alarm. my mistake.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I do have an aftermarket alarm. And most of the ones that scanned were kinda big and ricer looking. Idk. His was just really small and wasn't even really noticed from the inside