Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tuning/Setting up my amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tuning/Setting up my amp?

Guys,

I have recently updated my car system with the following amps:

US AMPS XT800.4v2 (car spearkers)
US Amps XT800.2v2 (sub box - 2 12"s)
(aftermarket speakers all the way around - kenwood 3way up front and kenwood 2way in sails).

The system is all wired up nice with proper powers, grounds and 12ga speaker wire and it sounds so much better. What I need help with now is setting up the following on the amps:

2 channel sub amp (bridging the speakers - already done)
- Level
- Sub sonic
- HPF
- LPF
- Bass EQ
- X-over

Now my HU does have a sub out (preamp) and I can set the feed to 80HZ or 120HZ, so which one do you recc?

Second, here is the 4 ch amp (1 each for 1-2 ch and 3-4 ch)
- Level
- Sub sonic
- HPF
- LPF
- Bass EQ
- X-over

I know there is really an art to this and no exact setting, but can you help me get started with some good start points for each and then how to tweek each setting depending upon my taste. Also, don't knock my sub amp choice as I am not looking for shear power just a nice bumb to the bass. Thanks for all your help and any advise is much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although every setup will be different, this should get you in the ballpark:

4 CH:
For most people the X-over will need to be put on HPF and set it to about 80 hz.
Turn your HU up about 3/4 of the way up. Set the level to the maximum volume you will be listening to without ANY distortion. NEVER turn any volume, level, gain, or bass eq up past 3/4. Distortion is the last thing you want. It doesn't just sound bad, it hurts the equipment aswell.
Bass EQ ALL the way down.
Subsonic doesn't matter.

2 CH:
Subsonic around 25 hz
Set the x-over to LPF
Set the LPF to roughly 70 hz or so.
The easiest way for you to set the level will be to turn up the volume on your HU to the maximum volume you will be listening at. (After the 4 CH is set.) Turn the level up until you reach either your desired output or until you can hear distortion. You don't want it close to distorting, so back it off until it completely goes away.
The most I ever set the Bass eq to is about 1/4. It is best to keep it down to get a better balanced output, as the bass EQ is going to amplify a set frequency. If you listen to rap mostly, go ahead and turn it up a little and re-adjust your level again to your liking.

Also, US AMPS are nice amps! Good choice!

Let me know how it sounds!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone, I setup the amps, and WOW I love it. Waiting for the seats to get done, so I can get it all put back together and take her out for a drive. Sometimes, sitting in the garage listening to the radio is just not the same - .