Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon experts please......?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Monsoon experts please......?

Tell me, is it true the H/U run's the front speakers & the Amp run's the rears?

the reason i ask is, i had some crackling on the right side front speaker.
I bought the Alpine 6.5 & replaced the front speakers.
Still there is crackling.
so i replace the Monsoon Amp with a new monsoon Amp.
Same problem...?
Could it be the H/U??
any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link that might help! http://members.aol.com/kustomz28/Cam...amaroInfo.html

It seems like the HU powers the tweeters.

I took mine out and I am repacing it with a Kenwood system. I going to have to re-wire the whole car, because the Monsoon wiring is set up different than most.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
Tell me, is it true the H/U run's the front speakers & the Amp run's the rears?

the reason i ask is, i had some crackling on the right side front speaker.
I bought the Alpine 6.5 & replaced the front speakers.
Still there is crackling.
so i replace the Monsoon Amp with a new monsoon Amp.
Same problem...?
Could it be the H/U??
any help will be appreciated.

H/U powers the tweeters and sends the signal to the amp directly from those same channels. That would be my next guess....
Old 12-23-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

My camaro has no tweeters?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the Camaro's use Coaxial front speakers.. No seperate wiring at all for the Tweeter there on the speaker. It's integrated and taps into the Left and Right Speaker wiring. If your going to replace the stock speakers with an aftermarket.. You might want to pick up a seperate tweeter and tap into the speaker wiring and run it parallel.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StalkerLS1
I believe the Camaro's use Coaxial front speakers.. No seperate wiring at all for the Tweeter there on the speaker. It's integrated and taps into the Left and Right Speaker wiring. If your going to replace the stock speakers with an aftermarket.. You might want to pick up a seperate tweeter and tap into the speaker wiring and run it parallel.
Dont even bother if youre running a stock setup... Just replace the speakers straight out. That extra tweeter doesnt help at all with the minimal power out of the Monsoon amp (I tried it that way too). sounds the same..
Old 12-24-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I did replace with the Alpines that you (rogue leader) suggested in a post awhile back.
They still crackle. I am about to say F$% it! & replace the whole damn thing!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
I did replace with the Alpines that you (rogue leader) suggested in a post awhile back.
They still crackle. I am about to say F$% it! & replace the whole damn thing!
yeah I remember

the next broken link I would say is probably the deck... otherwise I dont know.. It couldnt be anything else (Im assuming you made sure your wires are ok...but even then I doubt that would do anything like crackling)
Old 12-29-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

crackling or rattling? My right front has now got the case of the rattling (guessing blown). Only the right front. How hard is it to get in there and look at the z28 front right speaker? options that dont cost a fortune?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samz28
crackling or rattling? My right front has now got the case of the rattling (guessing blown). Only the right front. How hard is it to get in there and look at the z28 front right speaker? options that dont cost a fortune?
could be just loose, could (more likely) be blown. gotta take off the door panel and check.. push on the cone lightly, see if its crunchy...
Old 12-29-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
could be just loose, could (more likely) be blown. gotta take off the door panel and check.. push on the cone lightly, see if its crunchy...
crappy, got a link on how much of a PITA it is to remove the door panel? your probably right on the blown speaker deal. Is it stupid to look for a good used replacement or bite the bullet and find some cheap speakers in the same ohm/watt range to replace them. Im not interested really in spending alot but i cant stand blown speaks. drives me up the wall.

what would you do if you would rather spend the money elsewhere? buying used is always a gamble. What size are they? i got an new pair of two way 5.25" mb quarts laying around but based on the magnet size i'd guess they probably eat more watts than those stockers..
Old 12-29-2003, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Door panel is easy to remove (then again Im a ex car stereo shop guy soo) as long as your patient and careful you wotn break anything... take out the little trim screw holding the thing around the handle, and the triangle thing, pull out the window/lock control, poip off the lock button... this will expose 4 big screws needed to remove the panel, one under there, one in the map pocket, one on the bottom of the grab handle, and uh theres another someowhere in there I think, I cant remember but you'll see it. then just pull up and out on the whole panel. it pops right off.

IMO get the Alpines or Infinity Reference, they are cheap, sound good, and fit right. Better than bad scratchy music or speakers you'll need to replace again!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

which particular model (part # current rev) do you recommend, and what size/wattage are they if i need to improvise, if you don't mind me asking.

(ie 25 watt rms 6.5)??
I guess my fricken turn signal went out again too, so i'll have the joy of fecking with that too this weekend.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alpine SPS-170A, 6.5 inch, 40 Watts RMS handling. Thats what I run and have reccomended as they sound good.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

yah i had my buddy at the stereo shop plop some alpines in. Sound good, won't blow, if they do, at least theres a lifetime warranty. oh well a few bucks spent, but better than the rattley pos blown one.

i have a feeling the rest will follow since i like it loud and bass-y
Old 01-02-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put four Infinity Kappa 652.5i 6.75" speakers in mine. one in each door and one in each side panel. They might cost a little more than some ($89 a pair), but boy do they sound good. They will work with the factory system, but they will work a whole lot better with a nice aftermarket sytem with some power!