Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm experts, lend me your expertise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Alarm experts, lend me your expertise!

Well, I'm looking to set up my 94 Camaro with a sweet alarm. I'll start by saying that I dont need a remote start, I only drive it in the summer and its m6. I'm looking for something with 2-way capabilities, shock sensors, and obviously remote lock/unlock. Just about any of the systems I've looked at have these features, but this is where my imagination makes my job difficult. I'm wanting to have motion sensors that have inside/outside detection. The plan is to hook up the outside sensor (about a foot or less from the car) to activate the automatic window roll up with the warning chirp in case I leave them down. I also have t-tops and hate to put them in the trunk every time I get out of the car so the other motion sensor is in case the warning chirp and the windows rolling up dont scare away the thief and they try to reach into the t-tops the interior motion sensor will go crazy. I see that some of the alarm systems I've looked at have aux inputs. I have 0 experience installing car alarms so I dont know much about them but I would assume that for each additional add on you would need an additional aux input. If I were to get the window roll up and 2 motion sensors would I need an alarm with 3 aux inputs? Also, I have seen that there are many different brands of add on motion sensor alarms, so my question is which ones are compatible? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Go with a DEI product. Viper, Python, Clifford, etc. Quite honestly, having 2 motion sensors is pointless. If you get a window control module for the alarm, whenever you lock/arm the alarm the module will roll the windows up for you. If you leave the tops off (which I do myself) the shock sensor is more than adequate to protect the vehicle. Now if you had a vert, I would be all for recommending you a proximity sensor.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I definitely agree. But at the same time, If I'm going to go to the trouble to hook up all of that other stuff I might as well add a motion sensor at the same time. I think they are only like $30 or $40 dollars more..... that and I just think it would be cool . I guess sticking with DEI electronics wouldnt hurt. That way, I know that whichever brand I choose it should be compatible.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Nothing wrong with adding a perimeter sensor but you only need one. They are adjustable for sensitivity and size of zone. Mount it under the center console for coverage of the entire interior and you can adjust the sensitivity to provide a few inches of protection outside the car (any more than that and it will be going off in parking lots all the time).

Hooking it up to the windows the way you want may take a lot of work. Most alarm sensors (shock, perimeter, motion, etc.) provide two levels of triggering - "warn away" and full alarm. The warn away trigger only causes the alarm to chirp (or talk or whatever) but doesn't normally activate auxiliary circuits such as windows. Usually only the full alarm mode has auxiliary circuit activation.

So there isn't a combination that would allow the alarm to merely chirp but also roll up the windows. You could have the windows roll up if the full alarm was triggered.