Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

00+ Steering Wheel with Controls into an older Camaro install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

new P/N 26072753
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

My z28 is a 98 but it had the monsoon system I believe because it has sail speakers and speakers in the rear hatch. Does this mean my car has the SIR with the plug for the radio controls?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

No, but you can add it like I did.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TechCam97
No, but you can add it like I did.
Thats a hole lot of work that I dont think I can do, not even sure if my aftermarket deck would support it.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I have a question... I am installing steering wheel controls on my 99 z28 which does *not* include the car-side of the harness. I already did everything necessary for the column side of the wiring and SIR Coil. I ordered a Steering Wheel Radio Control Harness on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37097427905...oAAOxyVaBSwIny

But, I notice it has 2 small connectors on the ends of it as well. Where do those get connected?
Old 10-12-2021, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I have a question... I am installing steering wheel controls on my 99 z28 which does *not* include the car-side of the harness. I already did everything necessary for the column side of the wiring and SIR Coil. I ordered a Steering Wheel Radio Control Harness on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37097427905...oAAOxyVaBSwIny

But, I notice it has 2 small connectors on the ends of it as well. Where do those get connected?
Those go to the two steering wheel controls:

There are indentations in the steering wheel to tuck the wiring into like so:

Old 10-15-2021, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Those go to the two steering wheel controls:

There are indentations in the steering wheel to tuck the wiring into like so:

Yikes... I may have ordered the incorrect part. I'm looking for the wiring that goes from the column into the body harness or stereo harness. Mine only has the Airbag wiring for the SIR coil.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you just use taps to tap the wheel control wires onto the radio harness?? Looking to do this to my car very soon.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh higbee
Did you just use taps to tap the wheel control wires onto the radio harness?? Looking to do this to my car very soon.
Yes, for the three wires that are already in the factory harness (illumination, power, ground) I just tapped the existing radio harness. For the last wire, the radio control wire, I snagged an extra pin from another connector, wired it, and inserted it into my factory harness to work with the radio.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, for the three wires that are already in the factory harness (illumination, power, ground) I just tapped the existing radio harness. For the last wire, the radio control wire, I snagged an extra pin from another connector, wired it, and inserted it into my factory harness to work with the radio.
I'm in the middle of swapping mine and ran into trouble trying to center the clock spring. They said on the other forum that you press the service spring and turn the wheel the way the arrow shows until it maxes out and then back off 2.5 turns. I went lock to lock with mine and got 6.5 turns so I'm scared of doing the 2.5 thing because I don't want to break a hard to find clock spring if the 2.5 isn't actually half way.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the middle of swapping mine and ran into trouble trying to center the clock spring. They said on the other forum that you press the service spring and turn the wheel the way the arrow shows until it maxes out and then back off 2.5 turns. I went lock to lock with mine and got 6.5 turns so I'm scared of doing the 2.5 thing because I don't want to break a hard to find clock spring if the 2.5 isn't actually half way.
If yours is showing 6.5 turns lock to lock then you should be good at centering it at 3.25 turns I would think. When I did mine I marked it with a paint pen and then used some painters tape to keep it from moving when I pulled it out so I didn't accidentally mess anything up.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

If yours is showing 6.5 turns lock to lock then you should be good at centering it at 3.25 turns I would think. When I did mine I marked it with a paint pen and then used some painters tape to keep it from moving when I pulled it out so I didn't accidentally mess anything up.
well I kept it nice and centered and fire it up with an instant airbag light (fuse is back in and connectors are good) so I’m assuming with my luck I got a bad clockspring. Is there anyway to tell if a clockspring is in good condition? Also have an ignition delay after running my ignition in the new column
Old 02-16-2023, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

This is my factory radio harness. You’re saying you connected a pin to your power wire for the wheel controls and put it in the spot right between the yellow and beige?
Old 02-16-2023, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

This is my factory radio harness. You’re saying you connected a pin to your power wire for the wheel controls and put it in the spot right between the yellow and beige?
ignore that. I looked at the faq and found where pin 14 is, however is that only if you retain the factory head unit? I have a double din and I also bought the adapter from screaming chicken for the wheel controls so I assume I just connect the power from the connector to the adapter unit.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Edited pic just in case anyone else sees and is curious. Pin 14 is in the connector below the lime green wire:

.....is that only if you retain the factory head unit? I have a double din and I also bought the adapter from screaming chicken for the wheel controls so I assume I just connect the power from the connector to the adapter unit.
Yes, if you were wanting to keep the factory head unit then you would plug it into that pin 14 spot in the factory connector. For the Metra Axxess Interface you purchased, you could connect the yellow/green pin 3 on that module to the radio control wire and you'll be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
Josh higbee (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Edited pic just in case anyone else sees and is curious. Pin 14 is in the connector below the lime green wire:

Yes, if you were wanting to keep the factory head unit then you would plug it into that pin 14 spot in the factory connector. For the Metra Axxess Interface you purchased, you could connect the yellow/green pin 3 on that module to the radio control wire and you'll be good to go.
h

Heres what I have. I verified yellow and gray w black stripe both have power on both ends (at the radio harness tap point, and at the connector for the column. Ground I tested using the 200k ohm setting and got a reading of 01.2 on both ends. I can’t get the lights to come on for the wheel controls

also on my head unit I have the “steering wheel control” line on the new head unit harness wired straight to the adapter (yellow and green pin 3) for the wheel controls. I then tried tapping the blue wire on the female plug in to that connection but get no power from that one. What am I doing wrong??

so my two questions are:
1 why won’t the controls illuminate even though they show power? Possible bulbs are out?

2 how do I properly wire up the blue wire to the steering wheel control wire out of the head unit and to the metra adapter? Because I used the #3 pin straight to the harness off the hu labeled wheel controls and then tapped the blue wire into it because idk where else it would go, but either way the metra adapter won’t light up.

Last edited by Josh higbee; 02-17-2023 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Got it all squared away. the metra adapter was wired up incorrectly. Redid all the harnesses and now it works!

Quick Reply: 00+ Steering Wheel with Controls into an older Camaro install.