Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about 600Wx1 4ohm powering 3 speakers in a series/parallel

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 600Wx1 4ohm powering 3 speakers in a series/parallel

So I'm trying to help out a buddy who's got a RF 2 channel amp...it pushes 600 RMS watts bridged @ 4 ohm, which is insane but that's what it is.

So we're looking to power 2 CDT 6.5's which is 100 RMS @ 4ohm AND a RF P210S4 which is 200 RMS @ 4 ohm/400 MAX @ 4 ohm.

Short of buying another amp, we've came up with an idea but wanted to run it by ya'll and see if we're thinking right.

The CDT's will be speakers A & B, and the RF sub will be speaker C.

If we run it like shown below we'll have 100 watts going to speaker A & B each and 400 watts going to speaker C.

The problem is running it in this manner with each speaker being a 4 ohm load, the total impedance would be 6 ohms. That will reduce the amount of wattage going to each, but it won't hurt the 4 ohm amp at all right?

Also, any idea on what the actual wattage to each speaker would be? My guess was putting a 6 ohm load on the 4 ohm amp would be splitting the difference from 4 ohms to 8 ohms...which 4 to 8 is half the power...so the total output from the amp at 6 ohms would actually be 450W if it's 600W at 4 ohm???

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right about the total amp power being 450...then that would give 75W RMS to speakers A & B each and 300W RMS to speaker C.

And yes we know the same frequencies will be going through the CDT's as the sub....he's fine with that.

Let me know if I'm on track here. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^ as much as i am "fine" with the CDTs and the sub running the same frequency, im more just curious as to how it would sound. RIght now the CDTs are very underpowered, so i wanted to try and wire them to this amp to give them more power. Im not running the tweeters, so its just low/mid frequencies going to the woofer of the CDT. If it soudns like crap, then ill just figure out something else until i can afford to buy another amp.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Launching!

yeah....but we don't want to hurt that amp with a 6 ohm load either...that's the big question...and actually how much power it'll be pushing at that resistance.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6ohm wont hurt the amp, imo with out any filtering this is gonna sound like garbage
Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It won't sound very good.... but:

Wire the CDTs in series parallel with the P210S4. Buy some in-line crossovers al least for the CDTs.

6 ohms is less stress than 4 ohms. It won't hurt it.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ive got the crossovers that came with the CDTs, so only low frequencies will go to them... the more i think about it, the more i think its going to sound crappy. but everything is already hooked up in my car, so its just a matter of moving wires around on the amp. ill probably try it out just for ***** and giggles... once my car is out from the 8 inches of snow on it.