Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding On Star to our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding On Star to our cars?

I was wondering if I could get a kit from the company and add the on star system to my car?

I was just thinking that it would be really cool to have it.

Josh S.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you want someone to know your every movement? ability to read codes from your PCM? However, back to the topic, I don't know of a retro fit for F-Bodies.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by minivette
Why would you want someone to know your every movement? ability to read codes from your PCM? However, back to the topic, I don't know of a retro fit for F-Bodies.
A little paranoid are we?

OnStar was pretty handy for my wife when she locked her keys in the car one time. However, there is no retrofit kit available yet and besides, the annual subscription is quite expensive.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A little paranoid are we?
A little naive are we? Someone needs to do a little reading up on the subject.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Could you provide a link for that of which you speak. I'd be interested in reading up on the subject. I asked the same question when I bought my car but OnStar said that if was not even an option on the Camaro, so I dropped it. Sure wish I would have had something on my 82 Z28 when they stole that.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I am well aware that they have the capability of tracking an OnStar vehicle's location but do you really think that you are important enough that they would keep a special eye on you out of all their customers?

Except in the case of air bag deployment, they have to get the owner's permission or a court order/warrant to use any of the tracking capabilities. Anything you may have heard to the contrary is merely an urban legend.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Just buy a cellphone and keep it in the car (deactivated), then you can dial 911 for free.

the feds can already track you, and a search warrant? Thats when they are gonna bust ya, they can track ya all day long b4 that

"Sir..we got one running hacked ecm code to remove the cats, lets follow him for a day or two, check under the car while he's asleep, get a warrant from onstar, then throw im the pen for modification of emissions control device on a public road."

oh wait, thats obd-3

lol
Old 12-30-2003, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am well aware that they have the capability of tracking an OnStar vehicle's location but do you really think that you are important enough that they would keep a special eye on you out of all their customers?

Except in the case of air bag deployment, they have to get the owner's permission or a court order/warrant to use any of the tracking capabilities. Anything you may have heard to the contrary is merely an urban legend.
Look here Einstein, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a judges decision that let the FBI eavesdrop on conversations inside cars that had OnStar.

http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-5109435.html

What makes you think they don't keep track of everyone? Have you read your privacy statement from OnStar yet? Get informed.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Look here Einstein, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a judges decision that let the FBI eavesdrop on conversations inside cars that had OnStar.

http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-5109435.html

What makes you think they don't keep track of everyone? Have you read your privacy statement from OnStar yet? Get informed.
Sorry, this started as a little kidding but I don't have time to waste on paranoid fools. After this post I will not be following this thread.

Your news article strengthens my point - they can't eavesdrop on conversations in an OnStar vehicle even with a warrant (which they had obtained in the case in question).

OnStar's privacy policy clearly states that they can't (actually don't) track a vehicle's location until you activate by pushing the button (i.e. give your permission), the airbags deploy (as stated above) or you report it stolen (i.e. give your permission).

Get a life man - there are plenty of real threats to worry about without inventing new ones.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no retrofit kit available, but somebody with a 96 impalla SS added it to their car, on one of the impalla forums, might be a good source to find out some info on.

Ryan.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, this started as a little kidding but I don't have time to waste on paranoid fools. After this post I will not be following this thread.

Your news article strengthens my point - they can't eavesdrop on conversations in an OnStar vehicle even with a warrant (which they had obtained in the case in question).

OnStar's privacy policy clearly states that they can't (actually don't) track a vehicle's location until you activate by pushing the button (i.e. give your permission), the airbags deploy (as stated above) or you report it stolen (i.e. give your permission).

Get a life man - there are plenty of real threats to worry about without inventing new ones.
If I am a paranoid fool, you are an ignorant bastard. The FBI was eavsdropping on OnStar customers. The company had to step in and ask a judge to block the order. The point is, even thought the FBI was doing it, it was illegal. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/34100.html

As far as OnStar's privacy policy, I guess by your ignorant statement you have not read it. Here's a small excerpt.

As you use our services, we gather personal information to improve our services. You don't want your personal information to fall into the wrong hands. Neither does OnStar.

When you use the OnStar services, we may routinely collect information, such as the automatic network numbering information provided by the telephone network (caller-ID information), the location of your vehicle provided via satellite and GPS electronics, or any other information, including your preferences or usage patterns.
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...gl_privacy.jsp

Doesn't say anything about only collecting information when you press a button, airbag deployment, etc.

I'm not paranoid. I just chose to question things and look past the end of my nose.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The FBI was eavsdropping on OnStar customers. The company had to step in and ask a judge to block the order. The point is, even thought the FBI was doing it, it was illegal. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/34100.html
It's amazing what a little selective reading can do. Once again your own link (if you read all of it) says that the FBI had obtained a court order to allow the eavesdropping. This is no different than them getting a court order to tap your phone except that it's in your car. Without the court order, anything they heard would have been inadmissable in court and of very little use to them.

As far as OnStar's privacy policy, I guess by your ignorant statement you have not read it. Here's a small excerpt.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...gl_privacy.jsp

Doesn't say anything about only collecting information when you press a button, airbag deployment, etc.
Is English a second language for you? Your own quote says When you use the OnStar services. That means when you push the button or the airbags deploy or you ask them to find your stolen vehicle.

Here's a quote you conveniently left out from OnStar's FAQ page:

Q. Does OnStar know where I am all the time?
A.
OnStar takes your privacy very seriously. Only when the driver presses the OnStar button located in the vehicle does OnStar know your location. OnStar also knows the vehicle location if your air bags deploy or if you report your car stolen and file a police report.
Do you use a cell phone? The phone company can locate you within a few hundred yards anytime the phone is on (even if you're not using it). In some areas of the country, they can pinpoint your location within a few feet. Will that stop you from using one?

The point is that technology always has the potential for misuse. That's why there are judicial controls in place to protect our rights. If the FBI is able to get a court order to eavesdrop on you in your car then you have bigger things to worry about - like what are you doing that gave them probable cause to get the court order?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jeez... you've taken selective reading and misinterpretation to a whole new level. The point of the whole matter is that the FBI was eavsdropping on conversations in cars that have OnStar. Did you ever think that they even had the ability to do that? Is that in the contract when you sign up? You need to look at the big picture.

As for my cell phone Mr. know it all... it is not E911 compatible. So, no they cannot pinpoint my location to within a few feet.

Get a grip, and a life.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Even if your phone is not E911 capable (which uses GPS), they can find still your approximate location. They can triangulate your location based on what cell towers it is accessable to and their range overlap. Those GPS capable phones have no off button for their GPS subsystem. Its either 911 only or on all the time.

I think both sides of this argument are valid, but you guys are getting a bit rough. Accessability and convienience (sp?) have always been a trade-off with privacy and missuse of systems (tech or otherwise). It all comes down to trust and whether or not "Big Brother is watching you" (from 1984). It is unlikely that you are being watched/logged/tracked/whatever, but it is possible.

You guys have also hijacked someone elses thread for your argument. I don't want to come across as an a-hole, but that is rude. You should start your own thread. I agree that there was some valid information at first, but now its just an arument with name-calling.

Happy New Year

--VIP1
Old 12-31-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

nice car minivette (being totally off topic). Need some rims like those
Old 12-31-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of installing an On-Star system, how about a Police Scanner?

It would be more practical to those of us with heavily modified F-Bodies.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Back to the subject, I would love to have OnStar in my Camaro....would be neat.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure you can't retrofit an Onstar? When I was getting my tint done, the guy at the shop was trying to get me to get Onstar installed in my car. I turned it down but I was thinking of getting it for the security tracking feature. I have LoJack but I have heard mixed things about it...
Old 01-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If there is a retrofit kit then the people at OnStar aren't talking about it. There is no mention on their website of the availability of a kit and you would think they would promote that if it were available.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

OnStar does not offer retrofitting to vehicles not designed for it. Please see the following link:
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...e=Installation

Quick Reply: Adding On Star to our cars?