Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Speakers Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
They will be there Friday.
Awesome. Guessing you had to ship them from CDT? Was hoping them were coming from Georgia! Much shorter shipping times lol. Thanks for the quick shipment.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Installed my basic package tonight and it sounds like crap. Its not horrible, but not any better than stock. The front speakers distort easily and the subs dont hit very much at all. Hard to tell they are even there really. The rears play pretty good, nice and clear and loud. I regret getting this kit now.

Maybe ive got the polarity wrong somewhere on one of the speakers, who knows. It definitly is not what I was expecting. Mach 460 in the mustangs sounds twice as good.

Btw, Ive still got the stock HU and amp. Perhaps Ian can help me out on this....?

Last edited by BlackZLS1; 03-09-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
You could save some money and just stick a vibrator under your seat. LOL!!! That's basically all it really does is shake...hard. I wouldn't advise it over a subwoofer.
I bet it would get more ladies.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZLS1
Installed my basic package tonight and it sounds like crap. Its not horrible, but not any better than stock. The front speakers distort easily and the subs dont hit very much at all. Hard to tell they are even there really. The rears play pretty good, nice and clear and loud. I regret getting this kit now.

Maybe ive got the polarity wrong somewhere on one of the speakers, who knows. It definitly is not what I was expecting. Mach 460 in the mustangs sounds twice as good.

Btw, Ive still got the stock HU and amp. Perhaps Ian can help me out on this....?
The stock head unit is probably the problem. The replacement speakers are better than stock but they can only reproduce the signal they get. The stock head unit produces distortion better than signal.

Also, you may be expecting too much from that speaker kit. With an aftermarket head unit and those speakers, your system will sound clearer and quite a bit better than stock. The bass will be crisper and slightly more powerful but it's no substitute for a separate sub and amp. "Hit" is not a word I would use for the effect of a couple of replacement 6.5" subs.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Could the stock amp also be playing a role in this? By replacing the head unit, wouldnt I still be vulnerable to the amp being the weak link in the system? And by not hitting, I mean it might as well not even be there. It plays very very mildly.

Btw, I noticed later after posting this that the passenger side sub does not play at all. Not with any speaker, so it has to be wiring, amp or hu on that part.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The Monsoon amp is seldom the source of problems. It is small and somewhat underpowered but it produces clean amplification and almost never breaks down. When it does break down, it usually fails completely. In that case you would have no sound at all from any speaker.

You did wire the two voice coils on the subs in parallel to the single pair of wires in the sail panels on your Camaro? If you only used one pair of terminals on the speakers then you're giving up half your power there.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Monsoon amp is seldom the source of problems. It is small and somewhat underpowered but it produces clean amplification and almost never breaks down. When it does break down, it usually fails completely. In that case you would have no sound at all from any speaker.

You did wire the two voice coils on the subs in parallel to the single pair of wires in the sail panels on your Camaro? If you only used one pair of terminals on the speakers then you're giving up half your power there.
I only used one pair of terminals on the subs. Ill change that this afternoon. But what about the one sub that doesnt play at all. Have you ever seen a HU be at fault for that too?

Also, is there anyone who can refurbish the stock hu. I dont exactly want to put an aftermarket stereo in because i like the looks of all original plus having the steering wheel controls.

Last edited by BlackZLS1; 03-10-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Ok. Found out today my stock amp is in fack junk, (Whitebird). I plugged in a buddies extra he had laying around, and that sub that wasnt playing before, started playing. And this second amp had much more power, but actually has more distortion and less clarity and the rear channels gave out as it was playing.

So long story short: To the OP, go ahead and get the kee audio kit. But dont expect anything more than very subtle improvement over the stock speakers, unless of course your current ones are blown or something.

I will be bypassing the amp entirely since its junk anyway, and installing a new HU even tho I wanted to stay away from that. At least with these new speakers, it sounds good enough to get me by until I get a new HU and should sound alot better running off an aftermarket HU.