Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ipod through factory speakers but no headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ipod through factory speakers but no headunit?

Hey guys, I was wondering if it is possible to have your ipod play through the car speakers but have no headunit? Im in the process of building a street strip car and would like to delete the CD player but still play the ipod. Is this possible? I really dont know much about stereo stuff so any help would be great.

Thanks a lot
Ryan
Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the point of no headunit? To save 2 pounds? If you don't want a CD player, but listen to your iPod all the time, the Fusion CA-IP500 is a ****** awesome headunit. Thats what I have since I don't listen to CDs or the radio (it does have it though). You just put the iPod right into it behind the faceplate and you can control everything from the headunit. It weighs next to nothing so that little bit I wouldn't worry about. The only way to listen to your iPod through the speakers with no headunit (that I can think of) is to have all the speakers off a amp, then use a RCA to 3.5mm cable for your input, but that would only add weight, not take it away....
Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It can be done like described above(runing speakers off the amp and iPod connected to amp). You may also need an equalizer as well.

An amp and the Eq combined will definitely be heavier than a headunit and the weight is still there.

Why not just take the headunit out on track days?

It was held on with 4 screws on my 01 camaro.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 02-28-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info guys. I was just interested in deleteing it, since my current deck is screwed and I don't listen to the radio or cd's. I'm not worried about the extra few pounds I just figured if I could delete it I would and put gauges where the deck use to be. Sounds like its more of a hassle than I thought it would be.

Thanks guy's I really appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hada feeling that you were thinking about deleting the headunit to put guages instead.

If you don't wana deal with method described above.

You can get a decent HU that has an aux input, but put the HU in area behind the seat where most people put amps for their system.

Extend the wireharness from the dash to HU and a regular cable that connects iPod to HU. Keep the HU on aux mode and turn it on with a remote.
This way you still have your HU "delete" and a cable that just connects to your iPod.

I'm sure it's not the most professional way of doing things, but definitely will save you time/money If you go this route over the one mentioned above.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 02-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the idea, I think I would mount it behind the dash. since i have tons of room back there since I deleted all the ac and heating ducts and all that stuff.