Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Security Light

My car will once and a while randomly not start. The security light is on and Im pretty sure thats whats causing it. Does anyone have a clue why though? I can turn my key all the way and all the electronics turn on but the engine will not crank. Someone please help!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Teching In

You need to bypass the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) or buy a new ignition switch/keys. If you can use a multi-meter and solder you can bypass it. Measure the resistance of the pellet in your key. Hit the shack for resistors that get you close to the same resistance(+-10%). Cut the 2 wire connector between the ignition switch and vats system (2 wires going to the orange sleeved wire along steering column.) Un-clip the connector and remove. This makes it easier to take to a workbench and solder your resistors in series between the 2 wires on the connector you just cut out. Heat-shrink or tape and plug the connector back into the vats. (orange sleeved wire.)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I've never worked with resistors, soldering, etc... It might be easier for me to get a new ignition swith/key. Hopefully I dont get taken to the bank by the dealership. Is that the only place I can buy these items? The key im guessing is for sure a dealership item. Thanks by the way!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a good locksmith that does VATS keys and cylinder replacement; check with them first. I had my local locksmith replace my ignition cyl, two new keys, and he came to my house and did it right in my driveway. I think it came to like $275.00; that has to be cheaper then the dealer.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Your local parts store may be able to order one. If you go to the dealer be prepared to shell out the coin. If that's your route I'd take 99monguse advice and have them come to you. This will eventually happen again down the road as they will replace it with the same part number. The resistor fix is about $1 or $2. Even if you had to buy a soldering iron, wire strippers, and solder, under $25-$30. You could use butt connectors but make sure you have a good crimp on each connection. It's much easier than it sounds. Have you ever connected 2 electrical wires together? It's really that easy. If you can you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

I have to do a friends 02' TA soon. His is in that intermittent stage where it only does it sometimes. If there isn't a write up with pics I'll do one if there is any interest.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SleeperD
Your local parts store may be able to order one. If you go to the dealer be prepared to shell out the coin. If that's your route I'd take 99monguse advice and have them come to you. This will eventually happen again down the road as they will replace it with the same part number. The resistor fix is about $1 or $2. Even if you had to buy a soldering iron, wire strippers, and solder, under $25-$30. You could use butt connectors but make sure you have a good crimp on each connection. It's much easier than it sounds. Have you ever connected 2 electrical wires together? It's really that easy. If you can you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

I have to do a friends 02' TA soon. His is in that intermittent stage where it only does it sometimes. If there isn't a write up with pics I'll do one if there is any interest.
LMAO! I can dodge a wrench. Im pretty handy in most things, I just have never messed with something like resistors before. I sure as hell am confident that I can handle this task with a detailed write-up and pics. I would appreciate it if you would do that. Thanks a lot man! Any idea when you will have this available? Mine is in the intermittent stage too. Just in case it acts up again will disconnecting the battery reset it?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I'm shooting for Sunday. Bday is tomorrow so there maybe some recovery time involved Sunday in the am. In the meantime, find a multimeter, and figure out what the resistance of the pellet in your key is. Don't post that info, but have it handy. You'll need to get resistors from radio shack that add up to that value. It will reset itself after about 5min, security light will go out, and you can try again. Not sure on the battery but you'd have to reprogram your stereo settings whether it worked or not...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SleeperD
I'm shooting for Sunday. Bday is tomorrow so there maybe some recovery time involved Sunday in the am. In the meantime, find a multimeter, and figure out what the resistance of the pellet in your key is. Don't post that info, but have it handy. You'll need to get resistors from radio shack that add up to that value. It will reset itself after about 5min, security light will go out, and you can try again. Not sure on the battery but you'd have to reprogram your stereo settings whether it worked or not...
Alright cool. I will purchase these items before then. Have a Happy B-day and oh yeah be safe out there.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same proble as the OP and i deleted the vats form the computer with HP tuners. and it still doesnt work. will this fix my problem?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car did this 1 time. all i did was put my key in the door. locked and unlocked it. car strated right up.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i have the same proble as the OP and i deleted the vats form the computer with HP tuners. and it still doesnt work. will this fix my problem?
VATS can not be programmed out. It is controlled by the BCM which is not programmable. You can program the PCM to ignore the missing fuel enable signal from the BCM but you can't program out the starter relay override from VATS in the BCM. The VATS bypass described above will take care of the problem.

Quick Reply: Security Light