Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

why don't middle speakers work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010 | 12:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The factory amp has constant (battery) power not switched power. It turns on when it detects an audio signal coming from the head unit and turns off when there is no audio signal so you don't have to worry about it draining the battery. Whoever told you to connect it to switched power at the radio is an idiot. That's also a likely source of your popping noise.
Sorry I am late to this thread.

You are usually spot on WhiteBird but in the case of this 10 speaker "premium sound system" that is incorrect.

This pre-Monsoon/Bose whatever 10 speaker system amp that only powers the rear sail speakers does not switch on and off via the audio inputs. It has a switch signal (PINK wire to the amp) that signals the amp on and off.

This signal also works a power antenna if they are available.

Difficult part is, later model radios/Camaro radios deleted this pin. Therefore if you swap a radio from one of these models into your car, you must do as the OP said. At the back of the radio you need to splice PINK (powered antenna/amp ON) into YELLOW (IGN controlled power).

This unfortunately powers the amp on at all times the ignition is on (not just when the radio is on ala the original PINK wire), but it works fairly well. Also because of the new timing, a speaker pop may be heard at ignition on sometimes.

Spektre
Old 06-15-2010 | 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

That's odd. I know the Bose system in Camaros uses a remote turn on wire but my schematics show the early Firebird 10-speaker premium audio system amp has the same audio signal trigger setup as the later Monsoon systems. The schematics show the pink wire is strictly for power antenna. Of course, it's a Haynes manual so it could be wrong. I usually try to stay with only factory manuals but I didn't want to spend the extra money on the older manual.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make a note for future reference.
Old 06-15-2010 | 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok.....So that annoying pop I head every time I put my faceplate on is ok? Or is it not? I'd like clarification. I have a 94 Formula with the 10 speaker setup.
Old 06-16-2010 | 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
Ok.....So that annoying pop I head every time I put my faceplate on is ok? Or is it not? I'd like clarification. I have a 94 Formula with the 10 speaker setup.
Have you changed anything in the radio?
Old 06-16-2010 | 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spektre
Have you changed anything in the radio?
I wired up my sail panel speakers. They were not connected.

Quick Reply: why don't middle speakers work?