Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sail panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
guys I installed the audiopipes and I was very disappointed with them they would fart with like every song with the bass turned down.
I don't get it, with the bass turned down? Aren't the B pillar speakers all for bass anyways?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah so i sent the minimum amount of power to them and they still sounded like they were being overdriven. I think it was due to the unsealed environment.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
yeah so i sent the minimum amount of power to them and they still sounded like they were being overdriven. I think it was due to the unsealed environment.
Is it possible you may have it wired incorrectly?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

thats what i thought...I pulled them and checked them. 100% correct.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question, I just recently bought the same speakers. Does it matter which side you route the 4 wires? I mean as long as you have one (+) and one (-) on each side its ok right? I thought mine was fizzling too but realized its the hatch speaker on the same side going out.....
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

It doesn't really matter which way you wire those speakers in a Firebird as long as you are consistent. You must wire the two voice coils on each speaker the same way. If you have positive and negative reversed on one voice coil compared to the other, they will be trying to drive the speaker in opposite directions all the time. This will cause lousy or no sound and can destroy the speaker eventually.

If you wire the speaker on one side opposite to the other speaker you won't cause any damage but they will be out of phase. This will cause bad sound quality ("tinny" sound) and loss of volume because the sound waves from the speakers tend to cancel each other out (one speaker cone is moving out while the opposite speaker cone is moving in).

If the speaker terminals aren't marked then usually the positive terminal will be larger than the negative.

In a Camaro, it is important how you wire the dual voice coils of each speaker. You need to connect the two positive terminals together and the two negative terminals together and then connect to the single pair of wires from the factory amp. This is called parallel wiring and it lowers the impedance of the two 4-ohm voice coils to a total of 2-ohms... which is what the Camaro Monsoon amp expects.

Quick Reply: sail panel speakers