Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what purpose does the shock sensor really serve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great, thanks. i just bought it on amazon for $31 with free shipping.

question: if the trunk is opened without the doors being opened at all, will the alarm go off? i mean that question two ways: 1, will the motion sensor mounted on the airbag module pick up movement if the trunk is opened, and 2. without the shock/motion detector will the factory alarm go off anyway (kind of like it goes off when a door is opened)?

also, when is someone going to come up with an actual shock sensor, like where if you trigger the alarm in a zone, like the 508d does, instead of getting a horn going off you get shocked? that would be awesome. i would buy another battery just to be able to power it.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
great, thanks. i just bought it on amazon for $31 with free shipping.

question: if the trunk is opened without the doors being opened at all, will the alarm go off? i mean that question two ways: 1, will the motion sensor mounted on the airbag module pick up movement if the trunk is opened, and 2. without the shock/motion detector will the factory alarm go off anyway (kind of like it goes off when a door is opened)?
No and yes. The 508D is a "field disturbance" sensor - basically a radar. It won't pick up the hatch opening but it would pick up somebody reaching inside after opening the hatch. However, the factory alarm treats the hatch like any other door - if it opens while the system is armed, it will set off the alarm.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
also, when is someone going to come up with an actual shock sensor, like where if you trigger the alarm in a zone, like the 508d does, instead of getting a horn going off you get shocked? that would be awesome. i would buy another battery just to be able to power it.
I had a boss many years ago who wired the alarm in his Corvette to electrify the steering wheel and column. He got sued by a would-be thief who claimed the shock had caused nerve damage. My boss eventually won but the case dragged on for a couple of years and cost him more than the car in legal fees.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No and yes. The 508D is a "field disturbance" sensor - basically a radar. It won't pick up the hatch opening but it would pick up somebody reaching inside after opening the hatch. However, the factory alarm treats the hatch like any other door - if it opens while the system is armed, it will set off the alarm.

I had a boss many years ago who wired the alarm in his Corvette to electrify the steering wheel and column. He got sued by a would-be thief who claimed the shock had caused nerve damage. My boss eventually won but the case dragged on for a couple of years and cost him more than the car in legal fees.
that is unbelievable. especially when you consider that in texas you can shoot another man who is messing with your property. i think i could probably get away with this as long as i stay in texas.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Teching In

My questions is how in the sam hell do you delete it i unplugged mine an the damn car still goes off an rearms itself everytime i shut the door. It gets old idk how to get rid of it an i know im sick of dealing with it i jus want to delete mine an get rid of it i dont need it no how any advice.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Step one... get a keyboard with a shift key and punctuation keys.

Step two... delete what? The shock sensor or the entire alarm system? You delete the shock sensor by simply unplugging it. If the alarm still has problems then it wasn't the shock sensor causing them in the first place. There is no way to delete the alarm system because it's in the BCM but you can program it off by using the instructions posted above - set the arming method to mode #1 (off).

Quick Reply: what purpose does the shock sensor really serve?