Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery Draining in GF's Tiburon

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Battery Draining in GF's Tiburon

She has the stock head unit and stock door/rear speakers. One PPI 5440 amp pushing one JL audio 10" sub. Im not sure where the remote wire is ran from (Best Buy did the install) but when I turn the car off, the amp stays turned on. This obviously drains the battery. What would be causing this, and where can I run the remote wire to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

I suspect the factory head unit doesn't have a remote turn-on wire (most factory HUs don't) and the installers were forced to find another way to connect the amp. Knowing Best Buy, they probably just connected the amp's remote turn-on wire to the battery feed they used to power it so it stays on all the time.

It should be easy to fix although there is no ideal solution. If the car has a power antenna that stays up even when using the CD player then the power antenna control wire will work well for the amp's remote. If not, you'll have to use an ignition switched wire from something else. The ignition power wire at the head unit would be the best choice but you can use anything else that has power only in RUN and ACCY. The amp will be on whenever the car is running (even if the stereo is off) but it's better than draining the battery.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I suspect the factory head unit doesn't have a remote turn-on wire (most factory HUs don't) and the installers were forced to find another way to connect the amp. Knowing Best Buy, they probably just connected the amp's remote turn-on wire to the battery feed they used to power it so it stays on all the time.

It should be easy to fix although there is no ideal solution. If the car has a power antenna that stays up even when using the CD player then the power antenna control wire will work well for the amp's remote. If not, you'll have to use an ignition switched wire from something else. The ignition power wire at the head unit would be the best choice but you can use anything else that has power only in RUN and ACCY. The amp will be on whenever the car is running (even if the stereo is off) but it's better than draining the battery.
Thank you sir.