Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coppertone
I just got this HU in and can't wait to install it. Any tips on the install or the set-up? Especially with the PAC steering wheel controller.
Congrats u'll love it. As far as the install the only tip I have is if you are using the RCA connections in the rear of the HU to an amp, then get some RCA cables with shallow/small ends or do what I did and get some RCA 90 deg or elbows as it's pretty tight once you go to push the hu back in and bolt it down. It was putting a little too much pressure for my taste on the RCAs when I first installed it. The PAC is a synch to install and just follow the directions and you'll be fine. BTW - Did you get the PAC direct control or the IR version?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the PAC SWI-Jack but I didn't install it because the crutchfield guy said it wouldnt work (after the fact). Can it in fact work?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will work. I installed the swi-jack with my
kenwood excelon head unit & it worked perfectly.
Just make sure you get the wiring right.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Kenwood has some awesome stuff in the Excelon line. I am going to slap their top-o-the-line screen in my dash as soon as I can come up with 1200 bucks
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
It will work. I installed the swi-jack with my
kenwood excelon head unit & it worked perfectly.
Just make sure you get the wiring right.
Yup - I have the PAC-SWI-X so I use the IR commands. I know it's not the same but, I already had it and didn't see the need to spend another 60-70 bucks on something that does exactly the same thing. I found a good spot for the IR emitter that never gets blocked tucked up nice in the rubber boot of the Ebrake. Can't see it so I'm happy.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. I just got this same HU in and got a Metra 70-1858 harness adapter. I have a question about connecting the harness adapter to the harness that plugs into the Kenwood HU. The Kenwood harness had one orange/white wire that says "Illumi" on it. The Metra harness has and orange/white wire that is the "dimmer" and another orange wire that is "illumination". Which wire did you hook the Kenwood illumination wire to, the "dimmer" or "illumination" on the stock side? Thanks.