Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird alarm problem

So today I tried arming my car with the wireless remote, and it armed the car... but it didn't lock the drivers side door. It locked the passenger door just fine, but for some reason, it WOULD NOT lock the driver's side door.

It's an autopage alarm I've had installed for a few years. Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Perhaps I'm just getting old and impatient but it seems we've been getting a lot of threads lately asking for a magical solution to an electrical problem so that the poster doesn't have to do any diagnostics. It's like phoning a doctor with "Doctor, I have this pain. What's causing it?"

There are numerous possible causes for the problem and you'll have to do some testing to narrow it down. It could be a broken power wire to the door lock. It could be a bad door lock actuator. It could be a bad ground. It could be a problem with the aftermarket alarm or a relay connected to it.

First of all... does the door lock work using the factory switches? That will tell you whether the lock actuator or its wiring might be the source or whether the problem is limited to the alarm.

Then, get a test light or multimeter and start testing based on the results of using the factory switches. For example, if you get power and have a good ground at the actuator then the actuator itself is the likely problem. If the locks work with the factory switches then test the alarm's lock output signal and any relays connected there.

It's just an exercise in logic - determine what things could possibly cause the symptoms and then test to find which one is the problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, no need to be an *******. I don't deal with electronics on cars, so I just figured I'd ask incase this has happened to someone else and they had a solution.

No wonder I never post in this section...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Damn, no need to be an *******. I don't deal with electronics on cars, so I just figured I'd ask incase this has happened to someone else and they had a solution.

No wonder I never post in this section...
This has nothing to do with whether it's an electronics (or electrical) problem or any other kind of problem. You can't expect somebody to give you the answer without sufficient information. I wouldn't post in another section "my car won't start - what's wrong with it?" The obvious questions would be does it crank?, is it getting fuel?, do you have spark?, etc. The same thing applies here... if you want some help, at least do the basics first.

So I commented on the apparent laziness of many posters in these forums lately AND I suggested how you could do some testing to help narrow down the source of your problem. Do you think you might be a little too thin-skinned or maybe the comment hit just a little too close to home?