Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

antenna wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna wiring questions

do our cars use a signal amplifier inline with the antenna wire.
ive installed a hd radio unit and i no longer get half the radio stations i listen to. the hd radio is installed where the spare tire goes and connects directley to the power antenna thier.

im wondering if the antenna that goes from the dash to the spare tire well has something in it to help boost the signal i know a few cars that do it like this and wondering if mine is one of them.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

No. F-bodies have only a simple AM/FM antenna with no electronics. Your reception problems are probably related to the fact that extending mast (power) antennas are not the best design for signal sensitivity.

Corvettes on the other hand, have a "diversity" antenna system where the system automatically switches between two separate antennas in real time depending on which has better reception at any given moment.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No. F-bodies have only a simple AM/FM antenna with no electronics. Your reception problems are probably related to the fact that extending mast (power) antennas are not the best design for signal sensitivity.

Corvettes on the other hand, have a "diversity" antenna system where the system automatically switches between two separate antennas in real time depending on which has better reception at any given moment.
Now... is there a way to convert the vette setup to an F-body?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Fosnot
Now... is there a way to convert the vette setup to an F-body?
I doubt it because the two antennas are embedded in the windshield and back glass. Besides, you wouldn't want to. The diversity system doesn't make a better antenna - it merely compensates for the lousy reception of windshield antennas. Adding the second antenna and switching between the two of them helps reduce the loss of signal normally seen with a windshield antenna when driving away from the broadcast source. It does have an advantage in reducing or eliminating multi-path distortion when driving in the city among lots of tall buildings but a mast antenna is superior in every other way.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

thanks whitebird thats what i was afraid of. when i was useing the stock monsoon radio i got more channels then when i switched to the hd unit i lost the main channels that i listen to. i get nothing but static on them channles now. im gonna try a signal amplifier but i dont have much faith in them things.