Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

battery??? looking into small/race batterys-for street driving??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default battery??? looking into small/race batterys-for street driving??

alright. dads car is an 02 with 8K miles on it. yes 8000 miles. so obviously it doesnt get driven that often. needs another new battery from sitting soo much, and him NOT using the damn battery tender I bought him. anyways

for limited usage, would it be ok to use one of those small batterys Ive been seeing between 100 and 200 dollars and they weigh around 11lbs. I would supply a link, but Im not sure which one of this boards sponsers sell them. generally there for race cars, but I wonder how well they hold a charge? and if anyone has had an issue street driving with one.

for the record I'll make him keep it on the battery tender since it will be driven for a couple days, then typicaly not for weeks till its driven again. and it never goes on long trips.

but thats what I want to find out about. whats your experience?

chris
Old 06-02-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO u are asking for battery issues in this situation
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
IMO u are asking for battery issues in this situation
I understand that, but Im hoping to hear from people who have DONE it. if the car was closer to being dragstrip worthy I'd just get a regular batt. and the small one to swap in when we hit the track.

I should also add that there arent any elec. loads on the car. no alarms, stereo stuff, nothing like that. even the stock crank pulley.

the only area I could see there being an issue, is on hot restarts. say, we cruise in the car, stop for some food, or at a store. restarting with a hot engine. or driving up to the car show, sit for severalhours car off (but also not being charged by the batt. tender while its off), then drive home.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If dad religiously puts the tender on when the car is sitting at home you will be fine if you ask me. My concern is him not putting tender on it