Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

anybody running 6x9 in the far back panels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anybody running 6x9 in the far back panels?

as of right now i have 2 ,4 inch polk db's in the far back ive always wanted to have 6x9 but kinda want to see if anyone already has it done and what it looks like thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

It's been done and discussed several times here. Basically a complete waste of time/effort IMO and several others. Focus your attention on quality up front in the doors. Leave the rear hatch alone and just stick with what you have.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guy i bought my camaro off of had them there...which i was under the impression the car came stock with 6x9 so when i had my car outfitted with alpine i put 6x9's back there....sound good and all but after playing loud for a while they start to sound broken up or like cutting out....im not sure how the place hooked them up..but the way i can think of is that they ran them off the rear seat speakers so which means they are not getting enough power and they heat up...i kno this because when i lower the volume or shut the radio off for a while...they come back fine.....the place had to like rewire everything because you cant run through the stock amp or it would mess something up..i dunno...but i hope this helps....im close to considering taking them out
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has 6x9 in the rear, and the guy chopped up the factory panels to put them in. So I have installed the door and sail panel speaker upgrades from Kee, but have to replace the 6x9 with his JVC 4's asap.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some 5x7s in the rear hatch. I had already replaced the ones in the sail panels and doors, so wanted to upgrade those as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

If you feel the need a 5x7" plate would be preferable over a 6x9". The 5x7" plate speakers are basically a small component set (seperate midbass and tweeter). You could also use a 4x6" plate back there just as well.
A good sound quality system really is focused on the front stage which should include a good set of front speakers to set the stage and maybe a small amount of rear fill along with a subwoofer to round out the low end bass that most door speakers cannot translate. When you start putting large speakers behind you it takes away from the front stage where the focus should be and starts drawing your ear behind you instead of in front.
Here are a couple of examples of this type of setup and how it works (check out the bottom of the page on the second link):
http://www.cdtaudio.com/speaker_placemant_08.htm
http://www.cdtaudio.com/less_is_more_08.htm
Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very true, I had installed components in the doors and just some 6 1/2" speakers in the sails at the same time and have a sub in the trunk. Not sure how much it was needed, but I was replacing the rest of the the factory audio system (HU and amp included) so just replaced those in the rear quarters. I have the front 4 powered by the 4 ch amp and the rears powered by the HU.