Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Old School VS. New School Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010 | 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

All this talk of old school got my attention Running some old MTX amps with Orion XTR's still..though i think its time for an upgrade (ya think) Still sounds pretty good for what it is...

Old 08-15-2010 | 09:45 AM
Launching!

ummm....ya I wouldn't upgrade at all really. That is one clean install and the equipment you are using would sound better then some of the new stuff they have out. I wouldn't change a thing it looks clean and Im sure it sounds clean.
Old 08-15-2010 | 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by litemup02
All this talk of old school got my attention Running some old MTX amps with Orion XTR's still..though i think its time for an upgrade (ya think) Still sounds pretty good for what it is...

I vote upgrade! Get those amps somewhere else. From what I can see It looks like a clean install but I can't stand the amps in the back like that.
Nice setup though!
Old 08-15-2010 | 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HMERacing
I vote upgrade! Get those amps somewhere else. From what I can see It looks like a clean install but I can't stand the amps in the back like that.
Nice setup though!

Ok so where would you suggest to put em? I really don't see a problem having your amps there and showing them off, why hide something that's meant to be shown and meant to breathe, also why would you upgrade a classic MTX that
s a/b power, yes he could move to a class D amplifier but why spend money on something when what you have would be more than enough.
Old 08-15-2010 | 10:21 AM
Launching!

I used to sell Eclipse too. Loved the entire product lineup from headunit to amps to speakers. Had a great warranty, 3 years if dealer installed. Also had non-detachable faceplates. If your stereo was stolen they would replace it for free. (ESN-Eclipse security network) I would still buy a headunit from them. But as far as their amps go, They were clean power but for the money there were better choices out there IMHO.

These were the amps from back in the day.

Eclipse - Fujitsu Ten
Ya I remember them old Eclipse units, also to get them to work you had use a "key cd" I remember I used my dr. the chronic album and then my cd's got stolen lol.
Old 08-15-2010 | 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have run the fosgate power 50x2 with the optional balanced line driver the last 10 years...it drives 3 eclipse 88102dvc subs in the back of my 93 ta...these old school fosgates kick ***, they are little animals and the SQ is awesome...but I just picked up a phoenix gold ZPA 0.5 amp for 500.00 and I am going to have to change out for more thump, but from what I have heard the phoenix gold is a powerhouse in its own right.
Old 08-16-2010 | 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1sicLS1
Ok so where would you suggest to put em? I really don't see a problem having your amps there and showing them off, why hide something that's meant to be shown and meant to breathe, also why would you upgrade a classic MTX that
s a/b power, yes he could move to a class D amplifier but why spend money on something when what you have would be more than enough.
I made that comment because it is my personal oppinion. If you want a stack of lumber with amps mounted to them, thats yours. I would mount them in the spare tire well on a custom mount. If temp is a problem, there are ways to fix that too. That is what I would do. In no way, shape or form am I suggesting you to mount yours there!
Old 08-16-2010 | 08:11 PM
Launching!

I made that comment because it is my personal oppinion. If you want a stack of lumber with amps mounted to them, thats yours. I would mount them in the spare tire well on a custom mount. If temp is a problem, there are ways to fix that too. That is what I would do. In no way, shape or form am I suggesting you to mount yours there!
I do see your point, the fact of the matter is a Camaro is just a horrible car to a custom install in, I mean Im going to have 3 amps, audiocontrol eqx, audiocontrol epic center and crossovers for the mids and highs just not enough room lol but I love good sound and will some how make it work. I really dont want a stack of lumber there but hopefully by the time Im done it wont be too much of an eyesore.
Old 08-16-2010 | 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
I have run the fosgate power 50x2 with the optional balanced line driver the last 10 years...it drives 3 eclipse 88102dvc subs in the back of my 93 ta...these old school fosgates kick ***, they are little animals and the SQ is awesome...but I just picked up a phoenix gold ZPA 0.5 amp for 500.00 and I am going to have to change out for more thump, but from what I have heard the phoenix gold is a powerhouse in its own right.
Yes old school Phoenix Gold = GOD!!! Seriously that was another classic that could handle anything you throw at it I wish I still had my PG Octane I think only 250 were made but had to let her go.
Old 08-16-2010 | 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yes old school Phoenix Gold = GOD!!! Seriously that was another classic that could handle anything you throw at it I wish I still had my PG Octane I think only 250 were made but had to let her go.
The Zeropoint amps were very powerfull. (as long as the fans work) IIRC they were clost to a grand new, 12 years ago.
Old 08-16-2010 | 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what I have heard they have 2 oz of 24 carat in them...beautiful amp. And it bangs the hell out of my 3 eclipse 10's...this amp is a freakin monster.
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just so you know its not a stack of lumber.. mine is actually an overlay. Amps sit on the deck
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Lets go back a little further. Anyone here remember the PG outlaw?
2 amps in 1 chassis.
Came is a wooden crate.
I still have one of the sales posters from way back.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:20 PM
Launching!

HOLY **** that just brought back some memories....Is that beauty for sale Kinda reminds me of my Octane!!
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Just so you know its not a stack of lumber.. mine is actually an overlay. Amps sit on the deck
Just couldn't let it be, could ya? Not my point!
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Easy killer..and i dont give a **** either. Just clearing it up..
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

HOLY **** that just brought back some memories....Is that beauty for sale Kinda reminds me of my Octane!!
What about the Cyclone sub. The only sub to reproduce frequencies that low. Bad side was it needed a set of conventional subs to pick up the higher notes.

The excursion capabilities of these was terrible. I only sold a few of them but couldn't tell you how many were replaced under warranty.

And were they expensive, DAMN!
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Easy killer..and i dont give a **** either. Just clearing it up..
Now wipe your tears, everythings going to be just fine....
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol.. i see you own a pusstang too.. explains it all. Your T/A prob dominates your "drag car" doesnt it?
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

lol.. i see you own a pusstang too.. explains it all. Your T/A prob dominates your "drag car" doesnt it?
WOW, must have really hit a nerve! Your reaching for something.

Quick Reply: Old School VS. New School Power