Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

viper 5701

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default viper 5701

im looking into purchasing this system since im taking my car to school this semester. so any advice on how to install these alarms would be more than appreciated since my friend just installed the model above this one on his 06 mustang and is having a horrible time getting all the bugs out.
thanks adam
Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Viper is one of the top shelf brands.

Even though the 5701 is an entry level system, it should be flawless unless the unit your friend bought isn't working right or the install didn't go so well for him.

I'm thinking about adding the same security so later on I can add the iphone system, I 'd recommend buying from a legit retailer and not ebay.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by gtpvette; 08-16-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

how hard would you rate the install on a scale of 1 to ten, ten being the hardest?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I would generally reccomend having these professionally installed, if you are looking for help on putting them in this is a great resource for info.
http://www.the12volt.com/carsecurity/carsecurity.asp
Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It takes an average alarm/stereo shop 4-6 hours to properly set up & program an alarm/remote start and accesories like trunk, window controls. Installation would be high on a scale from 1 to 10. The installers deal with stuff everyday but it's still complicated enough that it takes em this many hours.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtpvette
One thing I'll say about Viper,,, and all Directed Electronics companies is,,,, there customer service SUCKS! I bought a Viper system not long ago and had a question regarding the starter kill system,,,,, they have three different names for it,,,, 'Automatic Engine Disable' or is it 'Vechile Recovery System, or is it 'FailSafe Starter Kill'. Anyway,,, called up technical support,,, but they won't talk to me because I'm not an authorized dealer. What a bunch of crap. The guy I spoke to said 'well you can't call GM up and ask about your car can you,,,, same thing'. I told him to to tell his boss is they aren't GM and next time I'll be buying another vendors product. He didn't care.

Keep that in mind......
I used to install DEI products, Viper to be specific. Never really had any problem with their products. 99% of the time it was installer error. If you aren't a professional and have problems with your install don't blame it on the product. As far as the three different names goes. It deals with the functions of the alarm.

Anti-Carjacking Feature (VRS)

VRS is a user-operated anti-carjacking system. Once activated, if your vehicle is carjacked, 30 seconds later the siren will start screaming for help and the lights will flash. When the carjacker pulls over and turns off the ignition, the starter kill will activate, which should prompt the carjacker to then abandon your vehicle for eventual recovery.

Failsafe starter kill

Failsafe Starter Kill The vehicle's starter solenoid will remain connected unless a thief attempts to hot-wire the ignition switch. Failsafe Starter Kill keeps the vehicle where you parked it: No unauthorized user can operate your vehicle once you've armed it, even with your key. Failsafe = peace-of-mind.

Automatic Engine Disable

Automatic Engine Disable Automatic Engine Disable (AED) is designed to protect the vehicle from being stolen at all times, regardless of whether or not the alarm is armed. If AED is programmed on, the starter of the vehicle will be disabled 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. To start the car, simply disarm the system with the transmitter.

If you would have simply researched it further you wouldn't be bitching about it. And do you think they don't give out install info for a reason????????
They sell VEHICLE ANTI-THEFT devices!!!! Why would they take a chance on giving someone info on how to disable their product?????????
So next time you choose to rant on a public forum know your **** and use common sense!

Keep that in mind.......

(BTW their tech support was great for almost any question you would have. But you need to be a licensed installer to know that.)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Deleted

Last edited by gtpvette; 08-16-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by gtpvette
BTW.... THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE STILL SUCKS,,, BECAUSE THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Their customer service is quite good - you're just not one of their customers. Their business is wholesale and they provide support only to their dealers as part of their business model. There are a lot of companies that do the same thing (K40 comes to mind).

BTW, you might want to have your keyboard checked - it seems to have a sticky comma key (unless that's some new form of punctuation or for a language other than English).

Let's not let this degrade into a flame war. The OP asked for installation assistance not opinions on the company or product. I won't hesitate to lock the thread if it gets put of hand.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Noted.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

will i need anything to bypass the existing items on the car? i already did the resistor trick. also will i need a door lock module like some other newer vehicles need?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

bump^^^^^^
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is some very good alarm installation information specific to 4th generation f-bodies at this site. The 96-98 information also applies to 99-02 models.

However, he recommends some wire connections at locations that are difficult to reach. Almost all of the connections you need are available at the BCM.

BCM Connectors

Green 6-pin connector
A TAN Driver Door Unlock
B GRY Lock All Output
C RED/BLK Lock All Input
D ORN/BLK Unlock All Input
E GRY/BLK Passenger Door Unlock
F -- Not Used

Black 6-pin connector
A BLK Ground
B ORN Battery Positive Voltage
C DK BLU Retained Accessory Power (RAP)
D BRN Accessory Positive Voltage
E DK BLU/WHT Courtesy Lamps Feed
F RED Battery Positive Voltage

Blue 32-pin connector
C1 BLK Ground
C2 PPL/WHT Ignition Key Resistor Return
C3 -- Not Used
C4 PPL/WHT Fasten Seat Belt Indicator Control
C5 DK GRN Starter Enable (V6 VIN K)
C6 DK GRN/WHT Vehicle Speed Input (Gulf States)
C7 GRY Interior Lamps Command Input
C8 BLK/WHT Park Lamps Relay Control (Domestic)
C8 YEL Rear Fog Lamp Relay Control (Europe)
C9 BLK Horn Relay Control
C10 -- Not Used
C11 YEL/BLK Starter Relay Control (Domestic)
C12 GRY Security Indicator Lamp Control
C13 BLK/WHT Seat Belt Switch Signal
C14 LT GRN Ignition Key Signal
C15 -- Not Used
C16 DK GRN Security LED Control

D1 WHT Courtesy Lamps Return
D2 LT BLU Shock Sensor Tamper Input
D3 BLK/WHT Rear Compartment Lid Release Signal
D4 BRN Rear Compartment Lid Release Relay Control
D5 PNK Ignition Positive Voltage
D6 YEL Program Input
D7 WHT/BLK Ignition Key Resistor Feed
D8 DK BLU Fuel Enable
D9 LT BLU Rear Fog Lamp Request (Europe)
D10 -- Not Used
D11 GRY/BLK Driver Door Open Input
D12 BLK/WHT Passenger Door Input
D13 ORN/BLK Rear Compartment Lid Ajar Input
D14 LT GRN Shock Sensor Shock Input (Domestic)
D14 BLK Ground (Europe)
D15 BRN Park Lamps Feed
D16 -- Not Used

It is very important that you install the diodes as recommended to isolate the door locks on both doors.

Quick Reply: viper 5701