Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Proximity based alarm system..Plus push button start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nebur8
Whatever happened with this? I actually came across it and thought it was pretty freaking sweet.

In all honesty you wouldn't even need the servo if you just remove the steering column lock all together. Apparently a lot of the later vettes either don't have or have disabled the column lock.
Thanks! I'm still doing this mod, just short on funds right now.
(Needed to pay for new tires )

I'm not an electronic guru so honestly I don't even know what that servo is doing.
I'll be just buying that plug and play kit and hoping my alarm guy can make it work with the RFID alarm system.

The vettes can get away with no column lock since their overall anti-theft is probably much more sophisticated.

I don't have full coverage on my only car so I rather not risk it.

The truth is I don't know how much of a protection the column lock provides on cars.
I 'm just kinda going on what I can find by own experiment, almost every vendor that sells these push button start kits has a disclaimer that says "delete column lock on your own risk", or something of that nature.

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I have an older push to start remote but IMHO, its almost useless unless it is to warm up the car. To get in and drive away, you still need to turn the car off via remote, then insert the key, then fire it back up and drive off...YMMV
I agree with you 100%, remote starts only pay off if you want to warm up the car in any given scenario. I.E.
My current system has a timer for it to start the car on set time everyday, so I don't even have to use the remote to start. It starts the car 5 minutes before I leave my home.

This alarm plus push button start is something I'm trying to put together to simulate the complete key less system(no ignition or door key) like the c6.

The fob sits in your pocket, as you walk up to the car (within 10-15 feet) the doors unlock. When you press the push start button, the fob exchanges whatever the encrypted code it has with the car and the car starts without any key.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 09-15-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I went to lunch the other day with a coworker and he has a late model gm pickup, like 2008-09 and to my surprise it had a remote start system which allowed you to start the truck w/ac on to cool the cabin down, all I remember him doing was sticking the key in the ignition and off we went after he started the truck from across the parking lot, I even asked if that was a stock gm system and he replied; YES. I was surprised to see GM trucks came with this (optional I am sure)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep all the new after market alarms let you do that, I'm sure GM finally caught onto some of modern features. I usually leave the AC on and turn the car off so ac would be on next time I start the car.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vettes can get away with no column lock since their overall anti-theft is probably much more sophisticated.
It sounds like their system is similar to ours, the reason I say bypass it all together is because of all the issues they have had with it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-please-1.html

I'm not an electronic guru so honestly I don't even know what that servo is doing.
the servo is unlocking the steering column. just imagine the duck as your lock turning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCofZdpVr1U
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Ah okay, I see the purpose of the servo and what you meant by deleting the key completely.

BTW how hard do think it is to replicate what that guy with the mustang is doing as far as creating that circuitry with relays and buttons?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Launching!

I don't think it's impossible, I guess it depends on someones level of skill.

1st thing is he has an alarm installed. so when he disarms it, there is power available in the car.

then you'd have to figure out the wiring at the ignition switch.

1st button he pushes is basically the same as you turning your key back towards you just turn on your interior accessories

2nd button would be like you turning the key away from you once where you would here stuff like the fuel pump start.

3rd button is the equivalent of you turning your key.

So I would guess maybe one relay for each.

The hardest part is the servo in the steering column. you would want to find a powerful and small servo to fit in there somehow, ideally if you remove your ignition lock then something that would fit in there. (Not impossible but for me more of PITA then it's worth.) Then you would have to send a signal to shut the servo down after it has unlocked the steering wheel...here I'm a little lost (maybe programing making an arudino board to control the servo or maybe something much easier.)

But take all of this with a huge rock of salt since I have a little bit of electronic experience; this is what it looks like to me it may be much easier or tons more difficult.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Launching!

No prob. I'm sure some electronic gurus and alarm installers here can probably be much more helpful.

Here are some links which might be of interest:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/hard...-access-2.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...t-mod-how.html
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Just added a link to an existing alarm system in my first post.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Just added a link to an existing alarm system in my first post.
Nice, Im wondering if it has good security though. Seems like a good option I haven't been able to tackle this because its on my bottom of my list, I need to get an Idle issue sorted out, I need Paint, then replace carpet, and then I'll look into an alarm, so im a ways out
Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why the hell can't I have my cake and eat it too? I want to use my Viper 5902, with all the optional sensors and such, then have:

Keyless ignition
Unlock when I walk up to it
Smart start
My S2000 pushbutton
Maybe use a reed switch like suggested above

I mean is that to much to ask for?

Also, if I were ya'll, I wouldn't worry about the column lock. I always thought it was a good feature, till the other day when I went to the junk yard and needed a bolt for my car, but couldn't get to without turning the wheel. It was rather easy to break the column lock believe it or not, so someone even slightly on the strong side could do it rather easy without it even being a hindrance.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by squee
Why the hell can't I have my cake and eat it too? I want to use my Viper 5902, with all the optional sensors and such, then have:

Keyless ignition
Unlock when I walk up to it
Smart start
My S2000 pushbutton
Maybe use a reed switch like suggested above

I mean is that to much to ask for?
You can probably do all of that given that it doesn't interfere with each other.

The only feature that isn't possible is doors unlocking when you walk because lassokey is a totally operate alarm. I'm not sure if it 'd integrate into the viper or doubt you 'd want two different alarms.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can probably do all of that given that it doesn't interfere with each other.

The only feature that isn't possible is doors unlocking when you walk because lassokey is a totally operate alarm. I'm not sure if it 'd integrate into the viper or doubt you 'd want two different alarms.
Thats the main problem. If I wanted all of that, I'd have to have 2 separate alarms, which I don't think that would be a problem, but I don't really wanna have to deal with that for one, and for two, I'd have to carry the key fob for the LassoKey as well as the one for the Viper, depending on if the Smartstart app can do all the functions the remote can, like pop the hatch, and the other aux inputs (I think it has like 4 or 6 total). The the whole problem of figuring out how to disarm the Viper when the LassoKey unlocks the doors, otherwise the Viper would go off.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Teching In

I want this as well, some guys over at mp3car are doing this with blue tooth to turn there carpc's on unlock there doors and put power to there push button when they walk up. I want something similar to theres. Walk up, car alarm disables, doors unlock, and send current to a push button start. I want one switch so that when i press it for under a second it turns on my ACC, when i press it and hold it it turns my starter until i let go, and then if i press it after it starts it shuts the car off. I want to remove my key from my column and relocate it somewhere for emergencies, but not need to use it on day to day basis.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97VoodooBird
I want this as well, some guys over at mp3car are doing this with blue tooth to turn there carpc's on unlock there doors and put power to there push button when they walk up. I want something similar to theres. Walk up, car alarm disables, doors unlock, and send current to a push button start. I want one switch so that when i press it for under a second it turns on my ACC, when i press it and hold it it turns my starter until i let go, and then if i press it after it starts it shuts the car off. I want to remove my key from my column and relocate it somewhere for emergencies, but not need to use it on day to day basis.
You got a link to that?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Launching!

I'm looking into an alarm system by lasso key.
The remote is really cool, similar to systems in vettes & nissan.
The fob stays in your pocket and if your close to the car the doors unlock.

I Want to add a fully functional push button start to this alarm.

So my question is can I delete the ignition key(also !vats), and connect the ignition and fuel pump relays to this alarm's key fob?

Ultimately what I Want to do with this is..walk to the car, the doors would unlock and car's accesories turn on and car starts with push of the button.

EDIT:

These are alarm systems that does everything discussed in this thread so far.

The fob completely removes the need for a door key or an ignition key.

Ebay Alarm

Stardrive
StarDrive looks better than the ebay choice..... nice find.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Did any of you get to install stardrive ??
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I only found 1 actual buyer's review about stardrive and it was all terrible, So I backed away from it.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Launching!

I only found 1 actual buyer's review about stardrive and it was all terrible, So I backed away from it.
yeah I know which one you are referring to, Im going to research more and see what I can find.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Link?

Quick Reply: Proximity based alarm system..Plus push button start?