Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical help

what causes my windows, electric truck latch, temp control switch, and windshield wipers to not work when the ignition is on, but only sometimes. anyone know what's causing this? thanks. i also cannot program my remote to my car, maybe it's something with the ignition? or the security?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The windows and hatch release are separate circuits but are both controlled by the BCM, the windshield wipers are controlled by a switch in the steering column (activated by the multifunction controls on the turn signal lever), and the temperature control is controlled mechanically by a cable going to the temperature valve.

You have at least three, probably four, separate problems there.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

but they all cut out at the same time, and these things all work when the ignition is off while the radio is still on, before you open the door.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

How can the temperature **** work or not work based on the ignition? It's not an electrically powered switch - it's a cable that mechanically controls a temperature valve - are you suddenly finding it getting warm or cold in the car?

Again, although you could have a problem with the BCM that could affect the hatch release and the power windows (plus the radio, courtesy lights, audible chimes, and power locks), it would have nothing to do with the wipers. They are on completely separate circuits.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

i mean like the blower, sorry, but yea it is more than i thought, audible chimes, locks, hatch, radio, it all does it at the same time so i'll try the bcm, thanks. hopefully this will solve some probs.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a similar problem, except its only the Stereo/Windows as far as I can tell, and I think it is somewhat related to climate control...
Several different instances, mostly where the stereo will just turn off (2 different decks, exact same symptoms) and if you bang on the side of the dash (passenger side toward the HU) it'll come back on. Doesn't happen all the time, and the severity varies to staying on for the rest of the night to snapping right back off within a second or so.
It seems more prown to come back on when the AC is on Max, and switching it to that will sometimes make it come on with no smack at all.
Bumps in the road, climate control, and activation of the window circuit{1}(sometimes) will trigger it.

{1}It has happened about 10 times since I've owned the the car, I press the button to roll down the windows, and the HU turns off.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the BCM. Do a search for Body Control Module fix. There are solder joints on the BCM board that fail or crack and they need to be re-soldered. The reason banging on the dash works sometimes is because the BCM is mounted to the dash. As you hit it it can make the joints contact the board again. Also the reason it seems to fail more when the AC is on max is because the fan is mounted right next to the BCM and the vibrations from the fan can make the solder joints flex as well as the temperature change as the cold air is re- circulated back to the fan under the passenger side of the dash. The joints cool and contact causing the circuit to loose power.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Here's the fix thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html.

This is a fairly common problem that affects the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which is controlled by the BCM. It affects the radio and the power windows only so it is probably the cause of Fosnot's problem but it doesn't match the symptoms of the OP.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

my bcm looks fine, i can't tell that anything needs to be soldered.

i did a search on what to look for that needs to be soldered and i found pics, and checked what was shown. i found nothing wrong

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-24-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Perhaps I failed to make myself clear... your problem is not the same as the one covered by the BCM solder joint fix. That fix applies ONLY to problems with the RAP circuit - the windows and radio cutting out intermittently. The hatch, door locks, audible alerts, etc. are not included.

Assuming you do have a problem with your BCM, it will require replacement. I'm not convinced that the BCM is the problem because it has nothing to do with the wipers or blower switches. It is possible that you have multiple problems and the BCM is one of them but soldering won't help.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

maybe just buy a new one since my car has over 200,000 miles??? lol

my radio and windows do cutout.

i think my switch is bad for my windshield wipers. and my ac ***** are real hard to turn. compared to normal

does the bcm control the alarm/security?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-24-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Please stop making me merge your consecutive posts. If you need to add something to an earlier thought, edit the previous post.

Yes, the alarm and keyless entry are contained in the BCM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, i'll try a new bcm and go from there.