Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

For the Zune Lovers out there.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the Zune Lovers out there.

I thought I would pick up a side project while doing my stereo install....Like many other zune lovers I'm a little annoyed with the lack of a Zune interface like that for the Ipod in aftermarket radios so I thought I would make my own or at least try too.

So too start I took apart my Zune home dock....I'm thinking that if I can de-solder the IR sensor I could attach some leads to it and mount the sensor and dock separately and just use a 12volt adapter too power the dock......I will still have to use the remote that comes with the dock to control it but I will be able to mount the dock in the glove box or something.

Its a small connection I just hope I don't damage it while trying to remove it.....I might just try and cut the leads and solder the wire too whats left over on each side

Note: There is a unit out there that will essentially let you operate the zune in the same way but its 70 dollars and then you have to fork out extra for the remote.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Subscribed.....good luck, i hope you figure it out, i love my Zune and want it to work on my radio.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ok the hard parts done now i just have to find a good place too mount the dock
here is what I did.....I kept the pics big too account for how small some of the stuff is.

1: Peal off the rubber mat on the bottom of the dock.

2: Remove the 4 screws in the corners and remove the metal plate.

3: This is what you will see under the plate there are 2 screws running parell down the center of the dock one is for the circuit board the other is for the front face of the dock.....once these screws are removed you will be able to remove the internals of the dock.

4: This is the IR sensor I gently pried the IR sensor up because I couldn't cut the leads or de-solder them because they are super small and I didn't have the right tools.

5: Strip and tin 4 strands of 26 gauge wire on both sides the length can be what ever you want. Now with just a little bit of solder on the Iron attach the leads too the board where the IR sensor was.

6: Repeat for the IR sensor it self remember that each strand has to go to the corresponding pin on the IR sensor when your done it should look something like this.

7: your almost there...Now cut a hole in the front face of the dock so the new wires can come out and reassemble in the reverse order that you took it apart.

8: Now the part I haven't done yet.... go get a USB too 12volt adapter so you can power the dock and a extra 12volt socket wire up the socket behind the dash and mount and plug in the dock and enjoy.

Note: If you do not have a deck with a screen you will need to mound the zune/dock in a location where you can seen the zune in order to control it....and there for wouldn't need to move the IR sensor.

Last edited by barkerpa3466; 08-20-2010 at 04:20 PM.