Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Charging System NIGHTMARE 04 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System NIGHTMARE 04 GTO

okay ive been battling this for months, my charging system is smurfing with my head, long story short, right now my problem is that my alternator decides when it wants to charge, it will drain my battery down to under 11.5v while running but the batt tests good (optima yellow top, BRAND NEW). it will randomly start charging up to around 13.8v and then just as randomly, drop back down to the 12. whatever it was at. ive replaced the alternator cable, have a brand new optima yellow top and this is the fourth alternator, its a powerbastards 180A alternator brand new. it seems to work when its cold, but once it gets hot, it stops. i just today tried replacing the white fusible link wire, no good,tried jumping the fusible link and indicator lamp wire, no good, i sent it back to power bastards and they tested it and sent it back saying it was good. i just ordered a GM Mitsubishi unit online (no i didnt pay the $600 from a dealer) but i cant imagine what this could be

side note, does anyone know a part number or where/how i can get the 2-wire connector that goes to the alternator?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the excitor wire on the that goes from the pcm to the alternator.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it turned out it was cheap aftermarket alternators, i got an OEM one and all is good now