Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Do 4 12's In A TA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Should be interesting to see how this works out. I would suggest the Big 3 and maybe a second battery if you're going to use 2k daily. I did 1200w daily and saw some voltage drop when I turned the lights on full tilt. Try craigslist for something a little better then kenwoods and see if you can find anything.
And I thought you were doing ported which is why I was confused on the setup. Post results.
I have the big 3 done already. only slight dimming at night.

and the big 3 was done with 0 gauge too.

I might have to get a small bat like a XS power 1200 in the space where the t tops are. that would fit nicely.

and craigslist around here is a joke. I would never buy used electronics on craigslist. epically subs.

I was going to go with 1 Audioque HDC 15" ported and make a box similar to the two 12's box i have now.

but i think the 4 12"s will add that custom "flashy" look to it. good for car shows and impressing people. ya catch my drift?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
He would be good with one DD 1512 with tunned box and 600rms. Yes i know they are rated lower, but trust me they can take a lot more!
I'd at least roll with a 35 series... A 3512 would be =/> those 4 12's and look less cheesy in the back, might even be able to do it with a 3510

The 1512 would pound pretty nice but the extra overhead provided by the 35xx would make sure he always had more then he needs...

Then again... I am a little on the excessive side...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have to do 4 12's I was just thinking about doing it since they are laying around collecting dust in there boxes. I have a single fi q 10" in the back right now running off a mmats 1400.1 and it sounds good. I was just wondering if anyone has done it and figuring out ideas pretty much.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John2005
I don't have to do 4 12's I was just thinking about doing it since they are laying around collecting dust in there boxes. I have a single fi q 10" in the back right now running off a mmats 1400.1 and it sounds good. I was just wondering if anyone has done it and figuring out ideas pretty much.
How can that not be enough? I have one 10" Type R running at 410RMS and it's way too loud. I don't get why people think they need that much bass.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
How can that not be enough? I have one 10" Type R running at 410RMS and it's way too loud. I don't get why people think they need that much bass.
I can agree somewhat, but when I had my system I was planning on doing competitions with it but after attending some shows it wasn't for me and I'll now downgrade next. But if you don't have the mids/highs for loud bass then it'll sound crappy all around and is pointless.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

I don't get why people think they need that much bass.

Same can be said for anything, Why do we need 300+hp cars when a Geo still gets you there...

Why do you need a 12k Rolex when a 9.99 Casio tells time just as accurate...

Why do you need a concert when music sounds better through headphones...

You don't "NEED" the majority of items you own... But I bet your happy owning them and "ENJOY" them... I know I do...
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Koncrete
Same can be said for anything, Why do we need 300+hp cars when a Geo still gets you there...

You don't "NEED" the majority of items you own... But I bet your happy owning them and "ENJOY" them... I know I do...
Well said! To each his own.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love bass. I just wish i had more money ha.

its a unique feeling having your body FEEL the music instead of just hearing it ha. and yes bass without mids/highs to back it up is just a headache. ha.

Im running all soundstream speakers.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

I had two 15" L7's before that in my back seat and took them out since they moved when i got on the gas hard during street tuning so going from 2 15's to a single ten is a big difference in loudness to me. I like my single ten a lot. The car is my weekend car/drag strip car. I also want to take it to cars shows/car contests every now and then. I don't need that big of a sub setup, just like I don't need 470hp and 470tq, but I like having it and want to keep tinkering with my car since it is my hobby.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by John2005
I had two 15" L7's before that in my back seat so going from 2 15's to a single ten is a big difference in loudness to me. I like my single ten a lot. The car is my weekend car/drag strip car. I also want to take it to cars shows/car contests every now and then. I don't need that big of a sub setup, just like I don't need 470hp and 470tq, but I like having it and want to keep tinkering with my car since it is my hobby.
2 15" L7's to a single 10" you probably gained a few db's LOL
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, the old days of bass competition. I remember bein into that. I had a single 15" proto type DD I got that wasnt originally intended to be sold. I got it from a guy testing it for DD. They told him when he was done he could keep it. It was in a ported box with a single slot port. I ran it regularily on a old school Kicker 1000 amp. I got a 147 off the windshield out of it. Not bad for a system I had maybe $500 in by the time I was finished.

Buddy of mine had the same guy build him a system for competition in his extended cab Ranger & it held (4) 12" Vega strokers each being fed 1200 watts each. That truck was beyond loud, it would literally hurt you sitting inside it.

Now in my old age of 27, LOL, I find myself very fond of my meager single 10" set-up. Its plenty for me & I can definetly "feel" the music with just a single 10" sub. I had a local shop build me a custom driverside box specific for my sub & I'm running a Zapco 350i amp on it. Upgraded my mids/highs with their own amp & I love it. Not too much & didnt cost a fortune either.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Ahh, the old days of bass competition. I remember bein into that. I had a single 15" proto type DD I got that wasnt originally intended to be sold. I got it from a guy testing it for DD. They told him when he was done he could keep it. It was in a ported box with a single slot port. I ran it regularily on a old school Kicker 1000 amp. I got a 147 off the windshield out of it. Not bad for a system I had maybe $500 in by the time I was finished.

Buddy of mine had the same guy build him a system for competition in his extended cab Ranger & it held (4) 12" Vega strokers each being fed 1200 watts each. That truck was beyond loud, it would literally hurt you sitting inside it.

Now in my old age of 27, LOL, I find myself very fond of my meager single 10" set-up. Its plenty for me & I can definetly "feel" the music with just a single 10" sub. I had a local shop build me a custom driverside box specific for my sub & I'm running a Zapco 350i amp on it. Upgraded my mids/highs with their own amp & I love it. Not too much & didnt cost a fortune either.

Ah yes, the good ol days! I sold/installed a system in a standard cab extreme s10. It was very basic but sounded good and was loud as hell. It had a focal 3way component up front and had a ported cab with 6 12W3's running on PPI amps. WOW!!! The neighbors (who were a block away from the commercial area) called the cops. They asked if we could keep it down but said they couldn't do anything if we didn't. It was to the point the HU would start skipping after the buffer ran out. Needed an mp3 player, but back then they were just making cd players that read mp3 discs.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005

My best friend just had the dude at DD build his system, 2 6 1/2", 4 tweets and 3 3508's in the trunk, he is banging high 130's and people **** when they see its only 3 8 inch subs in a small *** box... I am more proud of his system then my own just because of the reaction... I would put DD 8's up against most 12's...
Old 09-05-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HMERacing
Ah yes, the good ol days! I sold/installed a system in a standard cab extreme s10. It was very basic but sounded good and was loud as hell. It had a focal 3way component up front and had a ported cab with 6 12W3's running on PPI amps. WOW!!! The neighbors (who were a block away from the commercial area) called the cops. They asked if we could keep it down but said they couldn't do anything if we didn't. It was to the point the HU would start skipping after the buffer ran out. Needed an mp3 player, but back then they were just making cd players that read mp3 discs.
I had a hatchback with 4 JBL GTI 15's and some original punch cheaters, I had to build a tether so I could hold the cd player outside the car at comps... had a plexi rear window because I shattered my glass one... I kinda miss being young and dumb...
Old 09-06-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right, he has a picture of his car drag racing, so why would you want all the added weight? If you're going to competitions, then ok, but normally the car isn't really drivable if it's a true competition car. And, personally I think it's pretty lame when I have to listen to other people's music, because they have it so damn loud. Whenever I pull up to a stop light or stop sign, I turn my music down, so others don't have to hear it. But in all honesty, I really don't listen to it that loud to begin with, so, whatever.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Right, he has a picture of his car drag racing, so why would you want all the added weight? If you're going to competitions, then ok, but normally the car isn't really drivable if it's a true competition car. And, personally I think it's pretty lame when I have to listen to other people's music, because they have it so damn loud. Whenever I pull up to a stop light or stop sign, I turn my music down, so others don't have to hear it. But in all honesty, I really don't listen to it that loud to begin with, so, whatever.
Do you turn your car off at stoplights so other people don't have to listen to your loud *** exhaust?

Do you make any effort to add extra muffler's or sound dampening to your engine/drivetrain so the person next to you with a stock car doesn't have to hear your car?

Personally your exhaust is in the same category as the guys with loud systems... And somewhere out there is someone with a stock small ci car thinking "I just don't understand why people want a car with that loud of exhaust it's just annoying listening to them"

I fit in both categories though, loud system, open exhaust... And no, I don't bump when I am sitting at a stoplight unless someone next to me is...
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

I don't have 12's, but I've got 4 10's chillen in the hatch. It was just a side project for a while, something the dad and I did in our free time. Even though it is 4 10's we were going more for sq then spl. Had the system for 5 years and never skipped a beat. If you ever throw the 12's in the car, post up some pics.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you turn your car off at stoplights so other people don't have to listen to your loud *** exhaust?

Do you make any effort to add extra muffler's or sound dampening to your engine/drivetrain so the person next to you with a stock car doesn't have to hear your car?

Personally your exhaust is in the same category as the guys with loud systems... And somewhere out there is someone with a stock small ci car thinking "I just don't understand why people want a car with that loud of exhaust it's just annoying listening to them"

I fit in both categories though, loud system, open exhaust... And no, I don't bump when I am sitting at a stoplight unless someone next to me is...
Actually yes, my car is pretty damn quiet. The blower on the car is louder then my exhaust. I've been told that many times.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Quite the generalization. I have a T/A (not small ci) and I feel that way. Cutouts are one thing (save the noise for the track). Even most header/high flow exhaust systems are tolerable. But anyone who runs an open exhaust in normal traffic is, plain and simply, an *******.

Audio systems can (and should) be turned down in traffic to give other drivers a break from the noise. So it's not the same thing as running an open exhaust.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Quite the generalization. I have a T/A (not small ci) and I feel that way. Cutouts are one thing (save the noise for the track). Even most header/high flow exhaust systems are tolerable. But anyone who runs an open exhaust in normal traffic is, plain and simply, an *******.

Audio systems can (and should) be turned down in traffic to give other drivers a break from the noise. So it's not the same thing as running an open exhaust.
That's great and all, but my point still stands... There are people out there that look at his performance upgrades the same way he looks at stereo upgrades...

There really isn't a debate to be had about that statement... People choose to spend money on their vehicle however they want.. If he thinks it's lame for people to spend money on stereo equipment I can guarantee there is someone out there driving a hybrid or full electric vehicle that thinks he, and the most of us who do performance mods, are lame as well for wasting money on things like a supercharger or exhaust...

Now the argument of annoying the people around you, that is arguing a subjective opinion that cannot be defined because it's an opinion... I don't care how quiet you believe your car is with a supercharger and full exhaust that is your opinion... A safe bet would be there is someone out there that thinks it's obnoxious, loud and pretty lame because they are not into cars...