Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Engine interferance with Alpine radio...help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine interferance with Alpine radio...help...

I have a sony and alpine flip out for my ss. When i installed the sony everything was fine, then a year later both my middle speakers(back seat) completely stopped working altogether at the same time. Talked to a local shop they said they may have blown, idk if this is true i have heard blown speakers before and they sound horrible, but mine are not making a sound at all, is it the speakers? anything i can try? and also, only with my alpine radio when i start the car it plays a high pitch noise that gets louder with the press of the accelerator, engine interferance, i guess you can call it. I am not sure why this is happening either, i am not an electrical genious but i can install a radio, any help or ideas to check this out. any help would be great thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Blown speaker is possible depending on where the wire broke. Speakers are basically an electro magnet and blowing them usually entails snapping the wire to the voice coil. They sond like crap when blown because while resting the wire is connected and the current can pass through, but as the speaker moves the wire disconnects and it stops producing sound to return to it's original position where the wire makes contact once again. But it isn't normal for two speakers to blow at the same time unless you have some really bad noise go through them. So while possible, there may be other causes. Try connecting another speaker of the same impedance to see if the sound returns, if so then replace the speaker, if not then you have some more trouble shooting to do. If you are using the stock amp then you might have lost a channel in it, if you bypassed the amp and are running strait to the head unit the same might have happened.

As far as the whine, could be a multitude of issues. Different signal protection may allow one head unit to not experience a ground loop while the other might. Try the head unit in another car to see if it is the same issue. If not look to find a better grounding point for the head unit. A multimeter is great for these situations because you can measure the ground to see if it is acctually receiving current.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

On the alpine I would find a different ground spot first...

On the speakers, pull them both, put some wire on em and test em with your home stereo... Don't leave em on for long but a 2-3sec shot at medium vol will see if they are working or not..
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Teching In

thanks guys, the alpine is just hooked up through the wiring harness, it is grounded through the wiring harness as well (black on the headunit harness connected to black on the car wiring harness). As for the speakers i dont think they are blown, they are not making a noise at all, and it is only the middle two in the back seat, there has to be something more to that, i am no wizz when it comes to any of this stuff, all i know how to do is drive the hell outta my car i go to school 18hours a week and work 40. i dont have alot of time to look real deep into it, prob just gonna have to take it somewhere, a local stereo shop i guess. i have a few good ones around town, and i dont have a home stereo just a little ipod dock radio so i cant test the speakers. Could i not connect them to a battery to see if they move at all?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

and i dont know if im running off of the headunit amp or what, i just color coded the wires and plugged everything up and it was fine except the noise and now speakers, i just dont wanna take it somewhere and pay $$$ and them charge an arm and a leg to tell me what i already know lol
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't recommend connecting them to the battery, they aren't designed to do that and it would most likely do damage to them if they aren't already damaged. Try connecting them to another speaker connection that you have working in the car.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not just connect them to a voltage meter and test the ohm level, or continuity. If the ohm level is off or there is no continuity....then you know the problem is your speaker. The rear sail panel speakers run off the monsoon amp, so it could be your amp as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Teching In

i meant to like a 9v battery or something, not the car battery, i heard if you touch the wires to either end and the speaker moves a littile then you know it is still good, and i would use a multimeter if i had one, its at home in the garage, i am in college, no garage.... nada.... just gonna take it somewhere thanks tho
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onebad_SS
i meant to like a 9v battery or something, not the car battery, i heard if you touch the wires to either end and the speaker moves a littile then you know it is still good, and i would use a multimeter if i had one, its at home in the garage, i am in college, no garage.... nada.... just gonna take it somewhere thanks tho
A voltmeter is like $15.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are probably blown out.
I blew out 5 of the 6 stock speakers in pairs except for the one hatch speaker.

They just died, no sound or warning.