Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom ported trunk box with digital designs 8"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digital Design has been popular among those in the "know" for years. They are above the quality of speakers you normally see on the shelf at your little local stereo shop. Alot of people arent really familiar with them for this reason. As stated above there is no way a Digital Design sub will work properly in a stealth box. Stealth boxes are for the most part made for your basic off the shelf cheapo subs. When you want everything done right that usually requires building the proper box even if it takes up more room & others question why.

Install looks great. Thats almost the exact same box top design we used for my 15" DD I used to have, those subs seem to love boxes with slot ports. It wasnt in a fbody though. The box was massive for a single 15" sub & I had the same reactions, "why such a large box for a single sub". Then I would tell people to sit in my car & let them "feel" why the box was built the way it was.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Digital Design has been popular among those in the "know" for years. They are above the quality of speakers you normally see on the shelf at your little local stereo shop. Alot of people arent really familiar with them for this reason. As stated above there is no way a Digital Design sub will work properly in a stealth box. Stealth boxes are for the most part made for your basic off the shelf cheapo subs. When you want everything done right that usually requires building the proper box even if it takes up more room & others question why.

Install looks great. Thats almost the exact same box top design we used for my 15" DD I used to have, those subs seem to love boxes with slot ports. It wasnt in a fbody though. The box was massive for a single 15" sub & I had the same reactions, "why such a large box for a single sub". Then I would tell people to sit in my car & let them "feel" why the box was built the way it was.
yeah, talk about feeling some bass. one of my buddies used to have 2 DD 18" subs, and they were just off the wall loud. the truck was literally blowing itself apart. i think it pushed around 146db at a usac competition. broke the tack welds on the center support of the roof right off. the whole roof, side doors, windows and everything waved/rippled like the ocean when it was on. it was actually quite unbearable. It was too much bass for me.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD is a great brand and not a lot of people know about them since they go for mainstream stuff and don't understand what they're buying. The people that may know a bit about them tend to stay away since they can be a little pricier then other brands (FI, DC, AQ, etc..) but they can handle the power and perform amazing. Not doubting its potential just not often you see a box built just for a single 8. But as said it looks nice and should be loud with the hatch. If you TL meter it post results! And I'm wanting to meter my setup when I re-install it into the new camaro, though it's a different ported setup.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
DD is a great brand and not a lot of people know about them since they go for mainstream stuff and don't understand what they're buying. The people that may know a bit about them tend to stay away since they can be a little pricier then other brands (FI, DC, AQ, etc..) but they can handle the power and perform amazing. Not doubting its potential just not often you see a box built just for a single 8. But as said it looks nice and should be loud with the hatch. If you TL meter it post results! And I'm wanting to meter my setup when I re-install it into the new camaro, though it's a different ported setup.
yeah, you're right. it's not very mainstream, and alot of people don't know about it. and again, you're right. it is pricey for sure. This particular sub new is $242+ shipping, i snagged it for $100. it's by far the loudest single 8" sub I've ever heard. The rms is 500 watts, and max is 1800 watts, if anyone can find another 8" sub woofer that can handle that much power, touche. i'm currently running 150watts to it with a cadence amp that i got for free, so for now it will do, but i plan to upgrade in the near future to a 500watt amp. the bass notes of this sub, are so clean with the ported enclosure, it's just something else that alot of people wouldn't understand with their 2 sony explode 12's.. i don't plan on getting it metered because audio competition is def. not my thing. I like it, and its really fun and i have quite a few friends that are majorly into it, so being a close spectator is good enough for me. i wanted a clean crisp sounding system that would be capable of producing some pretty nice and loud bass, but i'm really into quality, and i personally think this is about the best it gets for the money i have into it. $200 total investment.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I don't think I'll get into comps but just curious as to what it would do is all. $200 is real good, I paid about $900 for my subs/box/wiring/amp/HU and all that mpy imcluding mids/highs, and looking back wish I would've done a different setup as this is loud and takes up a lot of room. I have to upgrade every speaker to hear the mids/highs over the subs.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by scj
yeah, talk about feeling some bass. one of my buddies used to have 2 DD 18" subs, and they were just off the wall loud. the truck was literally blowing itself apart. i think it pushed around 146db at a usac competition. broke the tack welds on the center support of the roof right off. the whole roof, side doors, windows and everything waved/rippled like the ocean when it was on. it was actually quite unbearable. It was too much bass for me.
He must have been really underpowered or didnt have a good box design to only get 146 out of (2) 18" DD's. My single 15" on a kicker 1000 hit a 147 off the windshield before I sold it. And yea, it was hurt you loud, LOL.

It was great though to pull up next to a light & some guy have a couple 15's in his old caprice tryin to bump and rattle apart. I'd just roll my windows down & crank it up, the looks I recieved were priceless cause I knew they could "feel" mine over theirs with their system bumpin, LOL.

I'm too old for all that now, LOL. I'm happy with my little stealth box single 10" sub. I enjoy hearin my exhaust now days so I usually only turn it up enough to sound good but still hear the car.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
scj
TECH Addict

He must have been really underpowered or didnt have a good box design to only get 146 out of (2) 18" DD's. My single 15" on a kicker 1000 hit a 147 off the windshield before I sold it. And yea, it was hurt you loud, LOL.

It was great though to pull up next to a light & some guy have a couple 15's in his old caprice tryin to bump and rattle apart. I'd just roll my windows down & crank it up, the looks I recieved were priceless cause I knew they could "feel" mine over theirs with their system bumpin, LOL.

I'm too old for all that now, LOL. I'm happy with my little stealth box single 10" sub. I enjoy hearin my exhaust now days so I usually only turn it up enough to sound good but still hear the car.
yeah, his truck just didn't have enough room for the appropriate box space for the dd's unless he walled the truck up, so he stepped down to cadence 18's which require less space, and the setup is alot louder now. idk what it's pushing though.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Man airspace can be a pain sometimes. I had a buddy in high school that drove one of those little Nissan mini truck sized things, LOL. He had (2) 15" Vega Strokers in that damn thing right behind the front seats. All you could see of his box was the faceplate, ports & subs. The rest extended thru the cab & into the bed. Took up enough of the bed we would roll back his leather bed cover & have like 4-5 girls sit on the box at once while he cranked it up. LOL, talk about good vibrations, we actually had one chick make it to her happy spot while sitting on the box in just a couple minutes time, LOL. He had each sub running on huge US Amps.

I never see anyone rocking US Amps anymore, not even sure if they are still made. But back in the day those & PPI were a couple of the only TRUE power amps that were actually under rated sometimes.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Man airspace can be a pain sometimes. I had a buddy in high school that drove one of those little Nissan mini truck sized things, LOL. He had (2) 15" Vega Strokers in that damn thing right behind the front seats. All you could see of his box was the faceplate, ports & subs. The rest extended thru the cab & into the bed. Took up enough of the bed we would roll back his leather bed cover & have like 4-5 girls sit on the box at once while he cranked it up. LOL, talk about good vibrations, we actually had one chick make it to her happy spot while sitting on the box in just a couple minutes time, LOL. He had each sub running on huge US Amps.

I never see anyone rocking US Amps anymore, not even sure if they are still made. But back in the day those & PPI were a couple of the only TRUE power amps that were actually under rated sometimes.
I power my DC subs with a US Amp, I love it, and they're still making them today. And I don't think I could do a blow-through in a truck as you described, lots of work and you gotta make sure you do it right or you just have a hole in your truck then.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, yea my buddy didnt care. We all used a guy named Scott Shope back in the day. He did professional level compeitiion & was a art teacher in Sand Springs at one time. He used to own a Explorer that was full competition decked out with plexiglass & concrete interior, LOL. He called it the Knuckle Dragger.

I actually looked up US Amps right after posting that & to my delight they are still rockin. I know now what amp I'm gonna buy when my Zapco finally craps out, LOL.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Looks good man, I'm a DD dealer and I've had a lot of interest in the 1508s over the years and everybody has been really happy with them. Brad firgard a DD employee and expert on enclosures did a single 1508 in the back of his third gen transam downfiring and from what I've heard it sounds great that way. I haven't had a chance to experiment with one in any fbody yet though.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TZ2884
Looks good man, I'm a DD dealer and I've had a lot of interest in the 1508s over the years and everybody has been really happy with them. Brad firgard a DD employee and expert on enclosures did a single 1508 in the back of his third gen transam downfiring and from what I've heard it sounds great that way. I haven't had a chance to experiment with one in any fbody yet though.
yeah, i'm really happy with it so far. only thing i don't like about the whole system is that the hatch rattles when it's cranked up. The whole floor of the car, along with the sail panels, and all the trunk paneling is sound deadened with raamat, and ensolite. i ran out after that, and havn't gotten around to deading the hatch itself, doors, or any portions of the roof just yet. but once that's taken care of, it should be a solid car with absolutely no rattles. and i'll be doing that in the near future.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

I actually looked up US Amps right after posting that & to my delight they are still rockin. I know now what amp I'm gonna buy when my Zapco finally craps out, LOL.
From what I heard their quality isn't as great since it's gotten more popular. I have an older md1d that I'm pretty sure does above rated and the quality is great, so I'd look for and older amp if you can find one. Sundown has also became very popular for their quality and haven't heard of any complaints.

Originally Posted by scj
yeah, i'm really happy with it so far. only thing i don't like about the whole system is that the hatch rattles when it's cranked up. The whole floor of the car, along with the sail panels, and all the trunk paneling is sound deadened with raamat, and ensolite. i ran out after that, and havn't gotten around to deading the hatch itself, doors, or any portions of the roof just yet. but once that's taken care of, it should be a solid car with absolutely no rattles. and i'll be doing that in the near future.
My previous camaro never had hatch rattle but it did have hatch window flex ha. Never had a problem with rattling without deadener though, except the mirrors all around, that's about it.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Man I hate to hear a company like US Amps would be cutting quality but it seems all too common now days. That was one thing that I always liked about my old US Amp I had, it put out raw power & worked flawlessly forever.

So far I have had my Zapco for about 5-6yrs & its still rocking strong.

Quick Reply: Custom ported trunk box with digital designs 8"