Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

can't tell if i blew my sub or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default can't tell if i blew my sub or not

alright well long story short.. I realized my sub wasnt thumping today in my sub thump box. i have 1 10" p2 rockford sub.. now the funny thing is when i touch the middle of the sub while the stereo is on it will thump again but then just go back out.. I think a connection is just loose maybe a fuse, I dont know. I just dont know if I should be in the market for a new sub yet and was just wondering the best options to trouble shoot it.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

could be the voice coil is blown...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you pulled the sub out yet?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Launching!

nah havent pulled it out yet but I will tomorrow. I thought when a sub blew it is suppose to make a funny sound when pushing the center in gently. Mine isnt making any noise when i do it.. I was thinking it could be the voice coil but hopefully its just a wiring issue but it has run great up until now.. If it did die it didnt give me any signs of death before dieing just banging hard bass as usual. Now when i touch it gently in the center it doesn't do anything no response at all almost like its not plugged in.. I checked the wiring from the amp to the sub thump box that looks good. I didnt check the fuse under the hood and I wanna check the connections to the actual sub tomorrow. I can always get a new one for $100 bucks just sucks
Old 09-25-2010, 05:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you blew the voice coil. happened to me twice with fosgate subs maybe your amps too big? get a JL
Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Launching!

Pretty sure the voice coil is done.. anyways I am in the market for a new sub and wanna make this as easy as possible.. I wanna just swap out the old sub for a new one without having to tweak any settings on my amp that were professionally set for the rockford p2 cuz it sounded great. I just feel like I'll probally mess it up somehow and I dont feel like paying to have it installed. I was looking at the JLW1v2 anybody have these subs or know of any subs i can swap without having to mess with the amp too much? right now i have the P210S4's Im looking for a 10" about 50-450rms sub that has the same specs or louder then the p2 was, I was thinking the JL what do you guys think? It's for a subthump 10" stealthbox. I have a Precision Power PC650 6 Channel amp in there now.

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 09-30-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could look at Alpine Type R's (think there 500w rms) or look at Kicker CVRs (400w rms). Should be a good thump and have no problem with a stealthbox. IMO, JL is overrated and overpriced. And most shops only charge around $20 to retune your system, just make sure they're pretty reputable and not a shop that turns your amps bass boost/gain all the way up, that'll blow the sub for sure in time. Make sure they use an oscilloscope or at least a multimeter, you don't really want it done by ear, though you could get away doing it that way.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Launching!

turns out the mono channel on my amp isn't good anymore. I bought myself a seperate mono amp and a sub for $160 with install its a 500 rms sub that makes me deaf and the amp is like a 1200 watt cheap amp but it drives the sub fine so it is what it is. Glad its all working. The audio guy gave me a hook up couldn't say no.