Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ported VS Non-Ported

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Sorry, late to the party. There are a couple ported enclosures for dual 12" subs. I have Probox enclosures ( a few anyway, they do well to distributors, just not much) as well and the one ported enclosure they make for the trunk area is a single 12" sub that is preloaded. Meaning it comes with there subwoofer in it already. I am not sure if they sell it without their sub preloaded.
There is also one I've seen but haven't heard that has a dual 12" slot port enclosure. Don't know anything about it though. Haven't used one. I tend to lean toward sealed enclosures generally. Less airspace volume to deal with thus making the install easier in most cases and still plenty of bass. When I want to go deep and low I do lean toward a ported enclosure though. Both sealed and ported will go low and deep or tight and punchy with the right tuning though.
They don't sell it without the sub, but even with it, the box isn't all that expensive. Shippings killer though. Not sure about now, but when I bought mine, Probox didn't have anything other than the single ported 12. If they would have had a 2 ported 12 box I definitely would have chose that. I'm VERY happy with mine though.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squee
They don't sell it without the sub, but even with it, the box isn't all that expensive. Shippings killer though. Not sure about now, but when I bought mine, Probox didn't have anything other than the single ported 12. If they would have had a 2 ported 12 box I definitely would have chose that. I'm VERY happy with mine though.
Your are correct, Probox only has the one 12" enclosure that is ported but the dual 12" sealed is really cool looking as well. My distributor actually has that one. They can order me in the other one like what you have. Both are very well made and sound nice.
I just wonder what it would sound like with a better sub??!! I bet it would be insane with an Fi, CDT, RE, MATTS, etc.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your are correct, Probox only has the one 12" enclosure that is ported but the dual 12" sealed is really cool looking as well. My distributor actually has that one. They can order me in the other one like what you have. Both are very well made and sound nice.
I just wonder what it would sound like with a better sub??!! I bet it would be insane with an Fi, CDT, RE, MATTS, etc.
Unfortunately I don't think so. :/ If you want to send me a few, I can try em out though. I tried a Fi BTL in it and it didn't sound nearly as good. It could have used some more power, but never the less...I was thinking of a RE SRx, SEx, or perhaps seeing what you would suggest.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

subscribed for learning purposes.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by squee
Unfortunately I don't think so. :/ If you want to send me a few, I can try em out though. I tried a Fi BTL in it and it didn't sound nearly as good. It could have used some more power, but never the less...I was thinking of a RE SRx, SEx, or perhaps seeing what you would suggest.
Interesting, maybe too much airspace volume or not the right port?? That sub is sick in the right enclosure!!
There's a guy on eBay right now selling 2 TC-10's that I would love to have but he won't ship them...already made him an offer over the asking price to compensate for shipping and he refused...lol! All he had to do is go to a UPS store...oh well. Would've loved to have those subs.
RE is a good bet but they are similar to the Fi so maybe not.
The MATTS Audio Dreadnaut 12" sub might work at 2.0 cu.ft. of airspace volume and the Juggernaut 12" sub needs 2.5 cu.ft. both ported so they might be better in that enclosure considering how big it is. These would be pretty loud. You would need a 1ohm stable amp to push them though.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the mounting depth permits, a Fi BL, or Q series should work good.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

I've always been a fan of DC subs, they're not too expensive and sound great. I have two lvl 3's ported and it's plenty loud, and only needs 1.5 ft of airspace per sub. They take 600w/1200w max, there are also some that need more or less power depending how much you want to push. Craigslist sometimes has a few good deals on nice subs as well, but it's hit or miss.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If the mounting depth permits, a Fi BL, or Q series should work good.
I actually tried a BTL, which is VERY close on the mounting depth, and if I'm not mistaken is the biggest, so the BL and Q should fit, but I just don't want to buy one and then it sound like the BTL. I was actually thinking of going with a pair of 10s firing right at the back of the front seats to move the soundstage up some later on, so I don't wanna spend to much for something that won't be used for ever.

Interesting, maybe too much airspace volume or not the right port?? That sub is sick in the right enclosure!!
There's a guy on eBay right now selling 2 TC-10's that I would love to have but he won't ship them...already made him an offer over the asking price to compensate for shipping and he refused...lol! All he had to do is go to a UPS store...oh well. Would've loved to have those subs.
RE is a good bet but they are similar to the Fi so maybe not.
The MATTS Audio Dreadnaut 12" sub might work at 2.0 cu.ft. of airspace volume and the Juggernaut 12" sub needs 2.5 cu.ft. both ported so they might be better in that enclosure considering how big it is. These would be pretty loud. You would need a 1ohm stable amp to push them though.
Yea, the box is HUGE for a single 12. I think the main problem was that it was more of a SPL sub and pretty underpowered (about 700RMS). I'm more a a SQ/SQL guy instead of SPL, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do for the sub yet. I think I'm gonna get rid of the RF 550S and 400.4 in favor of a Audison LRX6.9 and LRX1.1k. Nice sub setup on the 1.1k and a 3 stage active crossover setup up front on the 6 channel.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Let me know how you like the Audison amps!! They should be very good to say the least.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know how you like the Audison amps!! They should be very good to say the least.
I will for sure. I was even thinking of going with the Audison 3way speakers as well. There not cheap by any means, but are supposed to be as good as they get. I was gonna do that, with a Audison Bit.1 connected to a carputer. I think the carputer is gonna be first on the list.

Quick Reply: Ported VS Non-Ported