Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ported VS Non-Ported

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ported VS Non-Ported

I have a JL W1 sub enclosed no ported, in my SS and it pounds good, but everyone is telling me to switch to a ported box? big gains in sound? is it even worth switching boxes?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a sealed box, but from what i've read and the few ported systems i've heard seems like ported is better. Just depends on if you want a big box in the back of your car. I plan on getting a stealth box next year so I can use my t-top storage.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Going from a sealed to a ported will make it louder. However, sealed boxes tend to have a bit "smoother" bass than ported. Sometimes, ported boxes have a bit of a "lag" time between when the bass is supposed to be felt and when you actually feel it, but thats mostly in cars with big subs (15" - 18") in the actual trunk, so no worries there.

It'll hit different notes, depending on what frequency the box port is tuned to. In sealed boxes, basically the sub hits the notes hard that it wants to (depends on the vehicle, placement, and other factors). For tuning a port, I tend to go with about 38ish Hz for 10", 35ish Hz for 12", and 32Hz for 15", but its all a matter of personal preference. The lower the tuned hz, the better it will hit lower bass notes, and the same with higher hz. Any sub can be tuned to any Hz, but in my experience, a 15" will hit lower frequency harder than an equally powerful 10" sub.

So there ya go. Its all a matter of what kind of bass you want. Smooth, clean, and crisp bass with a sealed. Loud, hatch rattling bass with a ported. Here's some more info if you need it, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fpb3Nxx...nclosures.html
Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Also depends on what you mainly listen to. If it's is mainly rock I'd stay with the sealed and it's a "cleaner" hit and usually sounds better then with a ported box. However, if you listen to hip hop then the sealed won't be as loud as the ported, if that's what you're going for. If you listen to both, you could go ported and just tune it higher so rock songs will hit a little better since not many rock songs have bass line below 40 hz. You could also do an aero port setup and adjust your tune when you want to.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ported boxes in general, need to have more airspace than a sealed
Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool thanks guys, yea i mainly listen to hip hop and rap songs, not much rock, just dont know if i want the extra weight in the rear of the car wit a ported box
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You want to go ported for sure.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
You want to go ported for sure.
yea u have one?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want louder, deeper bass ported is the way to go!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you want louder, deeper bass ported is the way to go!
ok cool gonna shop around for box
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
ok cool gonna shop around for box
Chances are you'll need to either make one or have on made, I haven't seen any ported boxes for f-bodies and I had to have mine custom made.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Chances are you'll need to either make one or have on made, I haven't seen any ported boxes for f-bodies and I had to have mine custom made.
really my box fit well back there facing up lol
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is only ONE ported t-top well box for f-bodys and it sounds AMAZING with there cheap included sub. I LOVE mine, and it ******* SLAMS while still sounding BETTER than a sealed box. I'm debating on whether or not to share it with you guys.
I done it all. Two 10s in stealths, two 10s in a sealed t-top box, two 10s in a ported t-top box, and the single 12 in the Probox, and the Probox blows them all way. I talked to the owner/designer of Probox and he said setup properly with a about 500w RMS it should hit 143db. He said they put ALOT of R&D into the port work and design, and when you hear it, its evident. He even gave me a free t-shirt and discounted shipping.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by squee
There is only ONE ported t-top well box for f-bodys and it sounds AMAZING with there cheap included sub. I LOVE mine, and it ******* SLAMS while still sounding BETTER than a sealed box. I'm debating on whether or not to share it with you guys.
I done it all. Two 10s in stealths, two 10s in a sealed t-top box, two 10s in a ported t-top box, and the single 12 in the Probox, and the Probox blows them all way. I talked to the owner/designer of Probox and he said setup properly with a about 500w RMS it should hit 143db. He said they put ALOT of R&D into the port work and design, and when you hear it, its evident. He even gave me a free t-shirt and discounted shipping.
Ported box for two 12's?? Any more details/info? I never saw one from any sponsors or even ebay.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squee
Ported box for two 12's?? Any more details/info? I never saw one from any sponsors or even ebay.
Yea can we get some info on this thing lol
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...L-400_main.jpg

It might be loud, but does it go deep, what's the port tune frequency?
It probably has a high port tune around 45hz, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

basically in a nut shell.. if you want the BOOM of bass. rather than a "Punch" of a sealed incloser than ported is the way to go if you want louder, without changing your equipment.

ported boxes are bigger, but look at your subs encloser specs. it might suprise you that the maxium sealed and smallest recommended ported is not that much different.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...L-400_main.jpg

It might be loud, but does it go deep, what's the port tune frequency?
It probably has a high port tune around 45hz, but I could be wrong.
If I remember right, its tuned to be 33hz IN the car. Out of the car it'll change he said because of the back window. It hits VERY deep and VERY low, and the response is amazing. The xmax on the sub isn't something rediculous like a Fi BTL or anything, but the thing is just mind blowing. It doesn't sound like some cheap POS either like the Alpine Type Rs or the usual subs.

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
Yea can we get some info on this thing lol
Ported box for two 12's ?? Any more details/info? I never saw one from any sponsors or even ebay.
Thats cause there not a sponsor and usually only don't sell to distributors, just direct or to a few audio shops. And like I said, its a SINGLE ported 12.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, late to the party. There are a couple ported enclosures for dual 12" subs. I have Probox enclosures ( a few anyway, they do well to distributors, just not much) as well and the one ported enclosure they make for the trunk area is a single 12" sub that is preloaded. Meaning it comes with there subwoofer in it already. I am not sure if they sell it without their sub preloaded.
There is also one I've seen but haven't heard that has a dual 12" slot port enclosure. Don't know anything about it though. Haven't used one. I tend to lean toward sealed enclosures generally. Less airspace volume to deal with thus making the install easier in most cases and still plenty of bass. When I want to go deep and low I do lean toward a ported enclosure though. Both sealed and ported will go low and deep or tight and punchy with the right tuning though.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Sorry, late to the party. There are a couple ported enclosures for dual 12" subs. I have Probox enclosures ( a few anyway, they do well to distributors, just not much) as well and the one ported enclosure they make for the trunk area is a single 12" sub that is preloaded. Meaning it comes with there subwoofer in it already. I am not sure if they sell it without their sub preloaded.
There is also one I've seen but haven't heard that has a dual 12" slot port enclosure. Don't know anything about it though. Haven't used one. I tend to lean toward sealed enclosures generally. Less airspace volume to deal with thus making the install easier in most cases and still plenty of bass. When I want to go deep and low I do lean toward a ported enclosure though. Both sealed and ported will go low and deep or tight and punchy with the right tuning though.
very good to know thank u

Quick Reply: Ported VS Non-Ported