Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

People with aftermarket two way alarms please post your opinions on what you have.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default People with aftermarket two way alarms please post your opinions on what you have.

I just had a remote start viper alarm put on another car of mine, would like to put it on my Z28 too, but I don't trust myself with it since it's a stick.

My main need in an aftermarket alarm is the notification of if your car is being touched or anything, and distance that it will notify you(when away from the car)

I was thinking of just getting another viper, but figured it couldn't hurt to get some input from any of you that actually have one already.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Prestige APS997A with 2 way paging features. Its a decent alarm/remote start thats never let me down but its a cheap system I got when I couldn't afford anything better.
The range is half of city block, honestly its not going to notify you due to range unless someone is messing with your car when its outside your home or when you are in a starbucks with the car parked right outside.

If you already have a viper alarm, I 'd say you should look into smart start. Now thats a system that truly has unlimited range!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smart start is expensive! its 300 just for the app then 30 bucks a month... i just have the viper 2 way and i love the fact that i can know that its locked and it tells me with the remote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The modules range from $299 to $599. The new subscriptions are either $49 for a year or $99 for 3 years.

OP- What I 'd suggest is you get a viper alarm system thats compatible with these modules. Depending on your budget get the 2way alarm for now and see if you really want/need the module for unlimited range.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I have a Prestige APS997A with 2 way paging features. Its a decent alarm/remote start thats never let me down but its a cheap system I got when I couldn't afford anything better.
The range is half of city block, honestly its not going to notify you due to range unless someone is messing with your car when its outside your home or when you are in a starbucks with the car parked right outside.

If you already have a viper alarm, I 'd say you should look into smart start. Now thats a system that truly has unlimited range!
I have a prestige remote start that came on another SS I have. It's a good system, never had any problems with it.

The viper alarm I mentioned before has an LCD screen with the info all displayed on it, and is already on my C6. Remote start and everything works like a charm.

I've already seen that subscription service and I really don't like it. From everything I've seen, any way you use it(through an iphone/blackberry/whatever) you have to start the application, send the signal, and then it receives the signal. The video I saw of it a while back had it taking like 20 seconds at least.

The remote start I have on the c6 is great. Start it up from my house in the morning and then when I jump in car is already warmed up and ready to go.

I guess I'm just going to get another viper 2 way system since I don't want remote start on the camaro and just want the notification if it's being messed with(mainly since if I'm sleeping or something, I will see that something's possibly going on with the car. Which is the main reason I want it.

Thanks for the info guys

Mybandit, which model did viper 2 way alarm did you get for your car?