Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double DIN or Carputer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN or Carputer?

I really like the idea of having a touch screen interface in my car, but I don't know if one way is better than the other. I also want to hook up my underbody light kit to the touch screen so I could turn it on through that. I don't know if that would be possible with either of these, but if anyone has some insight, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

carputer
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Are you saying that a carputer is better than a Double DIN touch screen? Or that the carputer is way I could turn my light kit on through a touch screen?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Carputer has alot of potential for the same amount of money.

Out of those two I 'd say a carputer would be able to control the light kit.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

ok, if i go with a carputer, is there a way for me to still use my steering wheel controls? What about fm radio and power antenna capabilities? How can I power my tweeters since I won't have a HU now?

Last edited by kjcmusic17; 11-11-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, first off, your gonna need to do ALOT of research since your gonna be in a little over your head apparently on the carputer. It WILL get a little overwhelming, BUT you can infact control the lights. Get a doubledin carputer setup from someone like Bybyte, perhaps with the optional amp built in. As for the lights, use a Fusion Brain. It'll control anything you want it to. You just have to make a plugin for your frontend for whatever you want it to do. Not too hard.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Some double DIN head units such as the Kenwood DNX-71xx series provide additional touch screen switch controls. On the Kenwood, you can program the two additional touch screen control switches to be either momentary (for something like a garage door opener) or on/off (for something like lights). Certainly it would be easier to integrate as an audio system and you can keep your steering wheel controls.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Some double DIN head units such as the Kenwood DNX-71xx series provide additional touch screen switch controls. On the Kenwood, you can program the two additional touch screen control switches to be either momentary (for something like a garage door opener) or on/off (for something like lights). Certainly it would be easier to integrate as an audio system and you can keep your steering wheel controls.
Oh, I forgot to mention you can also keep your steering wheel controls with a carputer as well. You can program them to do whatever you want as well.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squee
Ok, first off, your gonna need to do ALOT of research since your gonna be in a little over your head apparently on the carputer. It WILL get a little overwhelming, BUT you can infact control the lights. Get a doubledin carputer setup from someone like Bybyte, perhaps with the optional amp built in. As for the lights, use a Fusion Brain. It'll control anything you want it to. You just have to make a plugin for your frontend for whatever you want it to do. Not too hard.
I have a close friend that will help me with the carputer as far as hardware and installation. All, I would need is the optional amp to power my tweeters.

How would the steering wheel controls work still? The most I've seen with that, is someone who kept the HU in and put it behind the carputer screen, but the it only gave him was volume control, not seek control.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well what your gonna have to do as far as keeping the radio is get a USB FM antenna and use that, but you can program them using a peripheral device (can't think of the name off the top of my head).
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

select kenwood dbl din have relay drive outputs to control things like ur lights
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head over to mp3car.com

That is a very comprehensive forum and website dedicated to car PC setups.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
ok, if i go with a carputer, is there a way for me to still use my steering wheel controls? What about fm radio and power antenna capabilities? How can I power my tweeters since I won't have a HU now?
this guy did a great job with his carputer and now has steering wheel controls
http://sites.google.com/site/snootch420/pontiacpc

Quick Reply: Double DIN or Carputer?