Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket stereo issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010 | 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Default Aftermarket stereo issue

alright so i bougt this vr3 vrcd400-sdu head unit off ebay (ive had several of these exact HU) but after i wired everything up all i get is a buzzing sound. the car already had an aftermarket stereo in it (pioneer) and had the harness to connect to the stereo. Ive been searchin on yahoo and the only thing i can find is that the blue (power antenna/amp) wire needs to be connected but i dont have a power antenna.

anyone know what it could be?

heres the head unit and the manual is at the bottom.

http://vr-3.com/product.php?p=VRCD400SDU
Old 11-11-2010 | 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Does your car have the Monsoon system and is everything stock except for the head unit? Did you use a wiring harness adapter?

You don't need the amp remote wire in a Monsoon system - the Monsoon amp uses signal sensing to turn on and off. And obviously you don't need a power antenna connection if you don't have a power antenna. The harness adapter allows you to just match the wires color for color and plug into the factory harness. If all the connections are correct and secure, the aftermarket HU should work just like a factory one.
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

no it doesnt have a monsoon setup. it had a aftermarket stereo already in it. i wired and rewired the harness adapter several times to try different thing and still nothing, just a buzz. i see the stereo is recieveing the station cause the on screen little equalizer thing is goin with the music. i do have an aftermarket amp in the car for my sub.
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Having an aftermarket head unit has nothing to do with whether the car has Monsoon or not. The Monsoon system is all in the amplifier and speaker combination and is not related to what HU is connected. Do you have speakers in the hatch area (quarter panel trim)? If so, you have a Monsoon equipped car.

There should be no options for "wired and rewired the harness adapter several times to try different things". Each wire on the harness adapter has one and only one corresponding wire of the same color on the aftermarket head unit.

Do you know anyone with a 1988 - 2002 GM product who would let you plug in your new HU to test if it works? That would tell you if the problem is with the HU and harness adapter wiring or if it's somewhere in your car.
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

From personal experience...I'm gonna say it's the VR3 that's the problem.
Old 11-11-2010 | 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

it probably is the HU because ive been reading up and its a common problem. sucks because ive had 3-4 of these exact same HU and never had any issues thats why i bought another one.

there is speakers in the quarter panels, theres grilles in the hatch part but no speakers. if i remember correctly when i had the door panel off i think they were stock speakers. will check more. im at work and boss isnt here so i get to mess with it some more.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo issue