Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm issues (read faq)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alarm issues (read faq)

I read all the info I can find on our alarm systems, but before I go pulling the BCM I just want to make sure others come to the same conclusion I have.

I am having issues with the security light coming on intermittently, usually when trying to start the car, but occasionally while driving it, I also have the "upgraded" alarm. Sometimes it becomes impossible to arm it.

Normally when I set my alarm, I press lock, 2 short honks sound, lights flash. I hit lock again, two long honks sound along with the lights flashing two long times.

When it acts up, I get two short honks, and 2 short flashes when I press lock the first time. The second time I push lock all I get is one short honk and one flash.

Does this sound like a BCM issue, or a sensor/door switch issue? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You have two completely separate issues. The SECURITY light in the instrument cluster has absolutely nothing to do with the alarm system. It is designed to indicate there is a problem with the VATS system that checks for the correct resistance in your ignition key pellet before allowing the car to start. You should clean your key with a pencil eraser followed by rubbing alcohol then clean the ignition cylinder with spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack.

What do you mean by "upgraded alarm"? Did you have the GM accessory alarm upgrade (based on the DEI Hornet 720) installed? Or do you mean just the factory alarm option? With the factory alarm, I have no idea why you would press the lock button twice since it arms with the first signal - the second press is redundant. However, usually a different confirmation (different horn honks) indicates an unready condition such as a door or the hatch not completely closed. This can be caused by a faulty switch at the latch. I have also seen cases where the shock sensor can cause similar symptoms. You might try unplugging the shock sensor (right quarter panel in front of the spare tire) and see if the problem goes away.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perfect I was hoping to hear from you specifically.

I may simply be confused on what is normal with the alarm indication in this case. When I first got the car, I would always hit the lock button twice:
1. First press locks the doors and sounds the horn
2. Second lock gives two longer honks (like some one bumped the car) and two longer flashes of the lights
(this is what I assumed the factory alarm is supposed to do, as it was that way since purchase)

Now it is doing something different:
1. First press locks the doors and sounds the horn
2. Second press gives one short honk/chirp and no light flash

Was it simply that my original scenario was the incorrect operation and it was in fact meaning that a door/the hatch was not closed all the way? I suppose it could have even been that my additional press of the lock button was some how setting off the alarm (as if some one bumped it).

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Sorry, I can't tell you what is the correct response for the alarm when the lock button is pressed twice because that is not a normal procedure for locking and setting the alarm (i.e. the response is not documented).

Normal response when locked with the remote is two chirps of the horn and flashing of the parking lights. If armed using the power lock switch in the door, the lights will flash but the horn will not chirp. If armed with the hatch open or ajar, the horn will only chirp once.

I would open and close the hatch, giving it a good slam, to ensure that it is not mistaken for being ajar and see if that changes the response.

Any alarm trigger will be ignored if not ready when the alarm is armed. So you could set the alarm and then use the trunk key to manually open the hatch. If the alarm doesn't sound then you know the system thought it was already open when armed. Be sure not to shake the car too much while trying this so that opening the hatch doesn't make the shock sensor trigger the alarm.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured out what's going on. Normal alarm like you said is two short chirps and a flash when you push the button. Well, mine seems to like doing a combination of everything lol

Today we drove the car all day, testing it out. Most of the time pressing lock gave two chirps and the lights flashed, normal. If I pushed lock a second time it would chirp once.

Then we went to another place, parked, I hit lock, two chirps and lights, I pushed lock again, and the alarm sounded with a short chirp and then two long chirps with lights (like some one bumped it). That would make me think that either the shock sensor is bad, or it's set so sensitive that the short single chirp set the alarm off LOL

I'll give it a try setting it and then opening the door or hatch and see what it does. I'll also check the sensitivity and see where it's at.

I really appreciate the help, I just couldn't find anyone that seemed to have the same variation and inconsistency with the alarm. It's mind boggling.

Quick Reply: Alarm issues (read faq)