Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Good Replacement Speakers For the Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good Replacement Speakers For the Hatch?

the hatch speakers are the only stock ones i have left and the tweeters are blown so they are already in the trash. im looking for a good replacement but dont know what to get. should i get 2 pairs of 3" (or is the stock one 2.5"?) and just put 2 on each side or will a 5x7 fit there?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need hatch speakers. they are just filler speakers. as long as you have a good set up front and where the rear seats are thats all you need.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

i have jl's (tr 6.5") throughout the entire car but for some reason the rear seat speakers are not as loud as the hatch ones (monsoon)
Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock size back there is a 4" midbass with 3/4" tweeter. If you feel the need any 4" coaxial will slide in there after you drill the rivet out. You can put a 4" component set in there but the cost of a 4" component set (seperate 4" midbass and tweeter) is not worth the output you'd get from that location. This is why I don't use a 4" component in my packages and just use a solid 4" coaxial.
As stated though it is mainly just for fill and can be left out. The thing about the rear hatch is that the plastic back there is not going to do much for you in regards to mid bass so putting a large speaker in there is not going to do much more for you. Even if you went to the trouble and upgraded the power and everything, the rear hatch plastic would just vibrate due to the nature of how it is installed in the car. There is nothing really holding it down to the carpet as it just sits on top of it nor is there anything behind it to act as a type of enclosure like the doors and sails have, it's just wide open.
If you really want to put something in there, just put a decent 4" coaxial in that location and then focus on those JL's. You'll be alot happier.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

i was sitting my my backseat earlier and noticed that the hatch speakers are really putting out more than the jls in my rear seats. how would i fix that? if i unplug the hatch ones will more power go to the sail panels?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The back seat speakers are Sub's. The Amp will only feed a Woofer, yes mine aren't very loud either. But How do the TR's sound I was thinking to put a set in my Civic?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

they definitly need a sub to work with them. when i first put my tr's in there was absolutely no bass (i have a in dash touchscreen also) and after driving around i couldnt take it. i added the subthump and it sounds amazing now. the tr's have really good clear sound but if you want bass you will need a sub
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the amp located that runs the monsoon setup?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a link that shows the amp location:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=93544
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my set up. Got a set of MB Quart DSD210 4" components.

I had a piece of particle board screwed to the back as a base, and then dynamated the whole backside of the trim piece.

Quick Reply: Good Replacement Speakers For the Hatch?